Help me identify my wood stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kmm820

Nov 22, 2016
Durham, CT
Hello all,

I'm New here. We recently acquired this wood stove from a relative and for insurance purposes we need to know a serial number/model. Can anyone help me out? There's no markings or name plate on the stove. I believe it was purchased in the 80's. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
IMG_4860.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad news but you won't be finding anything. Back in the 70s and 80s hundreds of local shops were welding up stoves. Like that one. When the EPA regulations came along they all got out of the stove making business. But that one appears too meet generic clearance requirements of 36" from any combustible material.

Paging @pen looks like a Tempwood?

Sure looks like one of Mohawks products;

Tempwood II.jpg

The II also has an 11 inch lid to add to those specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: westlucasworks
Yes, those three lids made me think Tempwood right away.

Well I sure missed that one. ;em

A friend's dad had one back east. It's an interesting inexpensive downdraft stove that actually worked pretty well. He burned in it from 1979 to 2014.

Here's a link to a pic of a label from an old thread . Looks like 36" all around for clearances . Not sure what hearth requirements would be.
Is there a minimum r-value for hearth when no label is present ?

NFPA 211 has guidelines. I don't have it handy but I think 4" thick bricks set on edge with sand filled cracks was one option.

I live in Newfoundland,Canada, and I had a stove like that back in 80's. Carmor down draft. I sold it after a couple of years because it was too big for my space . I spoke to the guy who bought it from me a couple weeks ago and he's still using it.