Help me identify this stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSchreiner

Sep 12, 2010
Wisconsin
Hello,

I purchased this woodburning stove from my Grandfather a few years ago. Recently purchased a new home and I'm looking to install this in my unfinished basement before winter.

Looking for a little information, year / model. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am mainly looking for any information that can help with installation (required distance from wall).

Dimensions are 24 1/2" (wide) x 28" (deep) x 29" (tall).

Thanks,
Matt

Old Blaze King?

It's got some Blaze King in it's shape, that's fer sure. Also looks like it might be about 85% there. I don't see a label on the back. Personally, I don't think I'd mess with it, nor would I sell it to anyone else. I'd scrap it and get myself a new appliance. Rick

It appears to be is a big box with a thermostatic damper system on it and possibly a cat assembly? That's why I am wondering if this was one of BK's earliest attempts with a glass door. One was to find out, send them the picture and ask.

House of fire??? I'd dump it and buy a new epa stove = Peace of mind when going to sleep.

I don't think there even is a glass in that door.

With a glass in it I would burn in it. At the deer camp.

madrone said:
Hinges on the bottom of the door?

The old Earth Stoves used to have doors like that. I never could figure out how in the heck you loaded the things without getting something, somewhere blistered.

Aha. Thought it looked familiar. Seen a lot of those old stoves with very "period" ('70's) earth tone tile work on the door, and some fancy decorative iron work. Kneeling into the hot door can't be fun.

Thank you for the responses. I just emailed Blaze King with the pictures to see if they can provide any information. I'll let you know what they have to say.

Although not pictured, I do have the glass and firebrick, so that's not a concern.

I am concerned with some of the responses though, I don't want to install this stove if it's unsafe. Any more opinions?

It is ancient wood burning technology and, yes, if you set fire to wood in it it will burn and create heat. But a lot has been learned about efficiently and safely burning wood since that stove was made. Some of it the hard way.

If you install this thing, what kind of chimney setup are you thinking about?

I agree with BB here.. It will burn and create heat.. but safety is always a question...

BrotherBart - I would install whatever the local fireplace shop suggests. I spoke with them a few weeks back and they mentioned double walled black pipe up to the ceiling and double walled stainless from that point up.

Still nothing from Blaze King.

I really want to heat with wood, but I'm not sure I can swing the $1,500 or so the Quadra-fire guys want for a stove. The $1,500 - $2,000 they quoted me for piping I can swing, it's just the cost of the stove I wasn't prepared for given I had this beast in my storage unit.

Who knows, maybe this ends up heating my garage.

I don't think that is a Blaze King. There have been similar stoves on craigslist over the years here in the midwest, but I can't think of the name of the manufacturer. They will look like BK in the photo, but be something else.

It looks like that has an 8" flue opening, and most (but not all) newer stoves will want a 6" flue. The 6" chimney will be less expensive to install.

Do what you have to do, but I would be listing that thing on craigslist and use that money toward an epa listed stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.