Help me size a wood stove. Have floor plan and pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vette2000

Hearth Supporter
Mar 22, 2008
chicago Il
Looking for Opinions. I am trying to find a size of a wood stove that won't blast me out of my house, but will also provide enough heat. Here is a short desc.

STOVES I'm considering due to a local dealer that I like so I'm limiting my selection to two brands.

JOTUL
-Olso 500
-Castine 400

Heartstone
-Heritage
-or maybe another size.

Desc of my house
total sq ft 2600 built in 2000 with a 2 story foyer. Stove is going in room adjacent to foyer. The stove room is 15 x 12 with a 36 inch opening to the family room and a decent opening to the foyer.

FLOOR PLAN
FloorPlan.jpg

CORNER WHERE STOVE IS GOING book case will be gone.
Stove_Corner.jpg

OPENING TO FOYER
Opening_To_foyer.jpg

FOYER
Foyer.jpg

Get the Big 6 (F600 Firelight) to go with your big dog! And get a blower for it too. It will move all the heat you want it to (more or less depending on your mood - it adjusts nicely), and give you longer burn times as well. Blue/Black Enamel will go nice with those hardwood floors.

Good to see you are keeping the flue in the interior envelope. By enough heat, I'm going to assume that you want enough heat to handle 0 degree nights with a 25 mph wind. Are these 4" or 6" walls?

If I'm correct, by all means go with the larger stove. If Jotul, then an F500 or F600. If Hearthstone, consider the Mansfield. Remember, you can always build a smaller fire with less splits.

I'm new at this so bear with me.

The walls are 4 inch r-13

I read that you should burn the stove hot. So if you load less wood in it to keep it from getting too hot will this cause the stove to run at an unsafe lower temp where creosote could build up. That my fear of getting a larger stove that if i have to damper it down.

As for enough heat. I'd like to heat the whole house if possible on most cold winter days. lets say teens - 30s While not having the stove heat me out of the house when the temp is not frigged outside.

You can have a nice hot small fire (did I get enough adjectives in there?...) in a larger stove. It will burn efficiently and clean, just won't pump out the heat that it would if you had it loaded up and cranking. With my Big 6, on milder days, I can put in a couple of pieces in the box and burn her nicely while keeping stovetop temps in the 300-350 range. When I want to pump up the volume, I fill the firebox front to back to top with wood, open up the air a little more, and voila, 500+ temps with fan blowing wide open.

For a newly built place, the house is not all that well insulated with only R13 in the walls. Given your climate zone and the size of the house, I'm sticking with the 3 cu ft stove recommendation. Get the F600 if you are not going to be burning 24/7, get the Mansfield soapstone stove if you intend to burn continuously from October to March. And buy several cords of wood now and get it stacked for next winter.

At the risk of repeating, you don't have to fill the stove to the gills with every wood load. The temperature regulation is largely dependent on how the stove is loaded and run.

I would consider putting it on the other side of the wall in the family room.

You can enjoy the fire and it will probably do a little better at getting the heat into the kitchen.

Seems like it would be all alone in the living room.

J.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.