Help: My flashing and trim surround kit is not tall enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh395269

Mar 27, 2008
CT
Hi,

I have Napoleon pellet insert that my husband is attempting to install today. My picture is exactly what it should like installed. The stove fits fine but I guess I never thought I would have trouble with the flashing and trim kit. The sides are ok, but the height of the flashing is 2-9 3/4" and my fireplace opening is about 32". They only offered the one size. Does anyone have any suggestions and what I can do? Thanks. - Kim

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The installation of the stove itself should not be a problem, inlcuding the venting. The problem is that the flashing surround - the metal piece that gets installed over the stove is not tall enough to enclose the fireplace opening. Is the flashing decorative only or must the insert be fully enclosed. Of course, I would want it to look nice anyway,as this is going in my living room. I don't want to try to fix this with something ridiculous looking. Thanks. - Kim

You can lift the stove, Put some bricks under the stove. Paint the bricks black to match the stove. the bricks should lift the stove about 3 inches. This is the cheapest way to do it. You could take the metal trim to a sheet metal shop and have them make one a little taller. I've lift a wood burning stove this way.

make a hearth as tall as you need to let the top shroud cover your brick. make it to match your fireplace or your stove. there are a few posts in the last month or so that should help ya get started.

schoondog

Thanks everyone for your ideas. We already do have a sizeable hearth. I think we have decided that we may just re-face the exposed brick that is left with some decorative stone or tile, thus covering up the gap. Otherwise, wewill have some piece of extra metal flashing cut to fill it in. Thanks, Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.