HELP please! Harman Accentra 52i insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rfedsjr

Oct 16, 2017
Hopkinton, MA
Hello all- I hope everyone is doing well! I bought my Harman Accentra 52i insert in the spring of 2016 and have used it for 1 season so far. It was great and I had no issues during that season. I tried to use it recently and the unit will not feed pellets or try to ignite. I did a complete cleaning of it recently (pulled it out of the wall, cleaned the combustion fan, burn pot, under burn pot, fines box, exhaust ESP probe, everything). I even tried seeing if there was something jammed in the auger or hopper and didn't see anything. The combustion blower light stays lit but none of the other lights other than the power light is lit. The unit is not throwing any blinking status lights whatsoever. Also, when I switch the unit to the off position, the combustion blower light stays lit and never shuts off. I've tried to read up on this forum for other similar problems and fixes but nothing is working for me. I don't think I'm still under warranty and I've completely run out of options as to what the problem could be. Is there anyone that could help me? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. You're in the right place. Are you getting any status light blink codes? Run the self test and report back to the forum with your result.

Thanks Jackman! I'm getting no status light blink codes. When I run on test, the combustion blower light and distribution blower light come on and the fan blows out air but no feeder light or ignitor light goes on.

I have it set to auto ignite. I also noticed that when I turn it off, there is a constant buzzing sound and the combustion blower and power light stay lit- it never turns off unless I cut the power to the unit.

Last edited:
Check to see if any ground wires were pulled from the stove when you removed it for cleaning. My harness is short and I caught the wire pulled from the ground strip luckily before I reinserted the stove into the liner. The grounds on mine are on the left side facing the stove. Just a thought?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Paulinator
That's a good suggestion, thank you. I did check and everything is securely tight.
Hi rfedsjr,check to make sure all the parts are correctly installed in the stove,also if you have an oak make sure it's clear also the exhaust. I forgot to take rag out of my oak this year and had similar issues. It's most likely something simple since you just cleaned the stove you just need to find the problem.

Hopper lid switch?

From owners manual :
The hopper lid Position Switch is found in the rear corner of the hopper opening. If the hopper lid is not fully closed, the switch opens,
interrupting the power to the feed motor and the igniter circuits. This prevents possible injury from reaching into the feeder mechanism during operation.

Had the same issue on a customers 52i and found that the exhaust pipe had a squirrel, dead, in it. remove the guy and it ran fine. No vacuum-no auger feed.

Reactions: dotman17
....not that you have a squirrel in the pipe but the exhaust maybe plugged. Make sure to check the chimney cap as well, there could be a birds nest in the top. Check the fines cover again, you should be able to see/feel the tab to the top of the cover.

Not sure if the OP got this working yet, but I just joined to share my experience and issue. Like you, I had a similar issue and could not find anything via Google. Not even this thread came up until I searched hearth.com exclusively for 52i.

Anyway, my 52i insert is 25 months old. It was professionally installed. I had just cleaned the stove top to bottom. Fired it up and the fans kicked on but the auger wasn't working.

Read that it could be a loaded up fine box, cleaned it up. It wasn't really packed but could use a good cleaning.

The installer recommended we clean the ESP code based on the blinking lights (I don't remember what it was doing). Found the chimney to be blocked. Specifically the exhaust part of the chimney. Cleaned it, buttoned it back up.

Still no auger action but the cleaning of the probe fixed the light issue.

Pulled it back out, hooked up power direct to the auger motor, it works! Found a blockage in the stainless steel chimney piping that I had cleaned out. Buttoned everything up, did a test and everything works under its own power.

I suspect the blockage was the root of my problems.

Hello,

I've got a Harman Accentra 52i Insert. I'm hearing a grinding sound when the auger turns. I've done enough research to believe that it may be the feeder chamber that is full with fines. I've read a couple posts where it shows how to access this chamber but I'm unable to successfully remove the fan to get to the chamber. I'm working on getting someone with a small enough wrist that I may be able to bypass removing the fan but I'd like to have a backup plan if I need it. I've got the stove out as far as I can (my hearth sits approx 2' off the ground and I've got the stove out as I can without supplemental support).

One of the other threads I've see mention some sheet metal screws around the fan but I'm unable to locate these screws. All I see are 3 hex nuts holding in the fan. I tried loosening one of these screws and it appears the fan on the inside is also attached to this assembly so I'd rather not pull this out if I don't have too.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Build a simple 2x4 support or the right sized bucket upside down or some other support item and move the stove further out from the hearth. It will simplify what you are trying to do.

Reactions: thro9
Hello,

I've got a Harman Accentra 52i Insert. I'm hearing a grinding sound when the auger turns. I've done enough research to believe that it may be the feeder chamber that is full with fines. I've read a couple posts where it shows how to access this chamber but I'm unable to successfully remove the fan to get to the chamber. I'm working on getting someone with a small enough wrist that I may be able to bypass removing the fan but I'd like to have a backup plan if I need it. I've got the stove out as far as I can (my hearth sits approx 2' off the ground and I've got the stove out as I can without supplemental support).

One of the other threads I've see mention some sheet metal screws around the fan but I'm unable to locate these screws. All I see are 3 hex nuts holding in the fan. I tried loosening one of these screws and it appears the fan on the inside is also attached to this assembly so I'd rather not pull this out if I don't have too.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

From the right side of the stove the side where the fan is reach over the top of the stove with your right hand and you can get to the wing nut. You will have to do it blind but feel around and you will find it. Loosen it up till you feel no resistance and then a couple more turns. The stud is long enough to allow enough clearance for the cover to come off without removing the wing nut completely from the stud. That will allow you to slide the cover up and off and back on. That is the way I do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: thro9
Thanks guys. I'm figuring on making some type of stand for if it I need to. That's a great idea about the bucket too.

However, I was hoping to not have to pull it all the way out if I didn't have to. I have tried going in just above the fan and then above the exhaust pipe and all other sorts of ways and I can't seem to get in far enough to be able to grip the wingnut to loosen it.

Are there any other ways of getting it out short of pulling the entire unit out further?

Have you tried unplugging the stove to let it reset. Sometimes this will fix some of these problems.

On pulling out your stove. You are going to have to pull your stove out eventually to do a complete cleaning. I pull mine twice a year. You either have to build something to do this or buy the extension kit to roll it out on.

I want to thank all the members for sharing your knowledge and experience. I had the same problem as described above, six flashes on my accentra 52i (incomplete combustion). I tried everything, cleaned the stove and chimney, replaced ESP probe but the stove would run for an hour and than it would shut down with 6 flashes error.
I called my dealer who advised me to check the hopper. After removing all the pellets I noticed a piece of plastic from the pellet bag blocking the shoot. I was happy to find the problem myself and to save some money . I hope this information can help someone. Thanks again.

Reactions: jackman
My harman was doing this same thing this year. The fines cover was on tight but was on crooked. Took it off
straightened cover and screwed it on tight, problem solved.

Sounds like your combustion fan is locked up or has something stuck in it. Pull stove back out and check for free movement of comb. fan