Help please pipe is glowing not from build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgwood23

Dec 11, 2013
belmont nh
i just remodeled my house i had a small baby bear warner i sold it and my dad gave me a suburban wood master automatic wood stove

the flue is triple wall all fuel 2 feet above the stove to roof collar

i have 6 inch black steal with damper comes out of the stove 5 inches 90s to the straight pipe through the roof

here is the thing if i run my stove with the flue closed and door open no smoke comes out
( my old stove would have filled my house in 15 sec)

the stoves auto matic control left on high will heat my house to 80deg bedrooms 65 70

when i am running it high no problem when i shut it to med it starts to rumble and then pipe glows to damper

now i open it back to high goes away fast back to black
so i kept it on high

last couple nights i get off to bed check the stove top of stove is red and the pipe elbow is red i shut it down and yes it gets worse re open control red goes away i am afraid of this and want my 60 deg house back
stove pipe all fuel is all brand new no build up in there at all only ran for 1 month

there also is no fire wall near flue whole on stove like in the warner i was going to weld a plate at a 45 deg angle before the exhaust but tampering may ruin the stove
\
it heats my house great the control opens and closes to temp i know its old but its rustic works great but i need to figure this out
one thing may be related again damper closed door open no smoke???

Last edited by a moderator:
Figure out a way to post pictures of the set up on here, that would help allot to figure out your issue.

My Guess: Sounds like you have air leaking in near the stove outlet. When the stove is on high there is enough air in the stove to burn all the gasses so the stove body evenly heats up. When the stove is on low the gases try to escape up the flue, air (with fresh oxygen) via a "leak" hits the gasses and they burn in the top of the stove and the first section of stove pipe. When the stove is cold put a bright light inside and see if there are any cracks or open seams that need to be sealed.

Pictures would help.

KaptJaq

"last couple nights i get off to bed, check the stove, top of stove is red and the pipe elbow is red"

Sounds dangerous. I'd be wary of using the stove unattended until you've diagnosed the problem.

I agree that this sounds like an air leak. This could be due to a bad door or ashpan gasket or a crack. Either should be fixed or the stove should be replaced.

For reference this is what that Woodmaster looked like. Twenty years ago. A wood/coal "circulator" stove.

Suburban%202.jpg
Suburban%203.jpg
Suburban%204.jpg

For reference this is what that Woodmaster looked like. Twenty years ago. A wood/coal "circulator" stove.

There was the "woodmaster" and the "Coalmaster". The difference was the grates. The woodmaster had fixed grates, the coalmaster had shakeable grates (as in Brother Bart's picture) and could burn coal or wood. Coal ash would not fall through the fixed grates of the woodmaster.

KaptJaq

Good catch KaptJaq. It is indeed a Coalmaster with the shaker grate.

I have to Suburban Woodchief and it looks exactly the same except mine has the cast iron wood grate and the cabinet shroud has different louvers in the front. Mine runs cooler when I shut the thermostat down.

Matt, if you turn the thermostat lower does the little air inlet flapper close and when you turn it up it should open. It almost sounds like it is working in reverse.

If you can get that heater working right it is a great unit.

I have to Suburban Woodchief and it looks exactly the same except mine has the cast iron wood grate and the cabinet shroud has different louvers in the front. Mine runs cooler when I shut the thermostat down.

Matt, if you turn the thermostat lower does the little air inlet flapper close and when you turn it up it should open. It almost sounds like it is working in reverse.

If you can get that heater working right it is a great unit.
Very good point, now I know the stove he is talking about. You are right, the chain can at time get hung up on itself. Could be the source f the issue.

Very good point, now I know the stove he is talking about. You are right, the chain can at time get hung up on itself. Could be the source f the issue.

It's kind of like a wire linkage (some may have a chain, I think Ashley uses a chain). The flapper has to hinge freely and the linkage has to be hooked up correctly or it can malfunction. This area where the flapper lets in the air is also a spot where creosote can build up. The air entering sometimes cools the atomized creosote and it can build up there. It is something to check along with the door gaskets.

ok so 1 yes the flapper is working perfect it works on all temps as is should when on hot full it stays wide open

2 this is the stove above as it has a steal grate and ash door

3 i did do the light check i found some bolts all over holding brackets to fire bricks etc were nudged a millimeter over so light show through (not shure 5 bolt holes mil would do it/??)

4 door gaskets were replaced the day i got the stove top door and ash

2 things i noticed it will do it more when the ash drawer is not empty completely
also when i get the stove up to temp to were the higher settings will only keep flapper open is only time it acts up ( also onoly time it will heat my house when below 20 deg out side)
and the more i bring it from higher tems to lower temps it will start to rumble and glow more if i turn it down 1/8 inch at a time till it dies down it will work fine
i want to ask why would the smoke and smell of fire not exhaust into my house with damper on flue pipe closed and main door wide open ?

one last thing when i got the stove i replaced the gaskets etc i also found the flapper shoot and ash drawer was full mouse stuffing i blew it all out with air hose cleaned it all and burned it out side for a while with 2 foot pipe to see if was worthy of using
until i started running it on higher temps i never had a problem

now today the stove is working perfect wall is cool stove heating house to 75 deg it is lil warmer out but... exterior doors were open alot today \

ONE THING I DID NOTICE WAS THE BIGGER THE WOOD LENGTH AND WIDTH WILL NOT DO IT OR GET TO CRAZY
I USED HALF BED COALS AND 3 OR 4 BIG ASS CHUNKS BURNED GREAT

yesterday was less coals and like 10 pieces smaller loges 18 inches and 3 or 4 inch diameter

today we are talking almost 3 feet long and about 6 inches in diameter or more

i am uploading the pictures i have remodeled my house i am adding rock wall in the cove etc so i have fire board there and under hearth tile but i am kinda building this to acomidate the stove so if i am junking it i need to start all over

i tried fans and watter pan for a while to see if it helped i saw in other post but not helping at all i will add pictures tonight of glowing areas
2 corners of top and the flat 5 inches coming out the 90 and 2 feet up will glow if not controled

Attachments

• 20131211_234527.jpg
    20131211_234527.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 1,233
  • 20131211_234538.jpg
    20131211_234538.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 385
  • 20131211_234552.jpg
    20131211_234552.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 20131211_234616.jpg
    20131211_234616.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 340
  • 20131211_234626.jpg
    20131211_234626.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 327
Any luck sorting out your problem Matt?

Frank625New Member

Joined:Nov 4, 2013Messages:15Loc:Near Mooresville, North CarolinaNewAny luck sorting out your problem Matt?

I've been playing around with it the last few days I noticed if I get it to about 400 350 and shut it down keep it on high it doesn't really go out I had one little course I spot a top of the stove the bigger the wood I burn the better it doesn't seem to get it hot doesn't he does well either

I also noticed that more coals in the stove the better it burns I can close it to low from high no rumbling no red pipes
Were as a fresh start makes it go crazy
so I haven't quite figured it out I'm kind of playing around with it we are leaving on vacation for 2 weeks and I have somebody watching house and at this point I'm ready to just boarded up and fill the oil tank

I am still baffled by the fact that it doesn't smoke with the flu closed and the door open not sure if that has anything to do with it may be getting too much air

Status
Not open for further replies.