Help please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fear74

Jan 16, 2009
Washington State
Newbie here and hope you all can help before I blow up my new house. :) Our house has a gas fireplace with the electric igniter in it. It worked fine when we looked at the house but while we were going through the purchasing process the gas was shut off. Now that we have moved in and had the gas turned back on it will not ignite. ( no spark at the igniter) i can't find a brand name ect on the unit and am at a loss at what to do at this point short of calling out a repair man. Anyone out there know what my problem is???
Thanks so much in advance

Take a look at the wire on the piezo igniter...Make sure it's attached...
If you've got an electronic ignition, it could be a ground...
Best bet is to open up the bottom of the unit & find the appliance rating tag & tell us what kind of unit you have...

Could also be that the unit has locked itself out. Electronic ignition systems have a lockout feature so if the pilot doesn't lite in a certain amount of time the system stops and doesn't allow you to try and re-lit the pilot and possibly build up gas in the firebox. Some early systems don't have a time limit on the lockout, so you have to cut power to the system in order to reset it. You may want to go out to the garage and cut power to the unit for 30 seconds via the breaker and then try it again.

Could also just be air in the gas line esp if the pilot or unit was running when the gas shut off. If its a automatic ignition try lighting it a few times. You can either take the glass off and listed for gas flow and smell for it, or if you leave the glass on wait 5 minutes between tries so you don't blow it up.

For the brand, look for a silver rating plate under the unit, upper left corner is a good spot to find the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.