Help plugging wall thimble hole after pellet stove removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Iron John

Nov 8, 2022
Tijeras, New Mexico
My wife and I are replacing our pellet stove (which came with the house when we bought it) with our first-ever wood stove (BK Princess 32). When we have the pellet stove removed, there will be a hole (thimble hole?) left in the wall where it was vented. It’s rear vented thru the wall and then up thru the roof. I searched the forums but thought it would be better if you could see my actual situation becsuse the ones i found didn’t quite apply to us.

We’re trying to figure out how we can plug the thimble hole that will be left open after the pellet stove is removed? We are going to put the wood stove in the same spot where the pellet stove is so the hole/plug will not be visible unless you peak behind the new wood stove. We’re having a contractor come to remove the pellet stove and install the wood stove tomorrow morning.

I’ve included photos of our current pellet stove and the rear part that I am referring to and looking to plug once it’s removed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2A1295F1-F565-47EE-8D54-3047F9D7E38D.jpeg 550AF717-3267-4FD1-AD8C-EEE9C88AC281.jpeg 213E75A1-33DB-4D80-949C-5126A87A0AB2.jpeg 22C0C164-4F01-43A2-B3C3-47D8959CDD69.jpeg 23177CEE-DA7C-4B75-8AEC-06E6F289C798.jpeg

How about using the wall thimble for an Outside Air Kit (OAK)?
We ended up finding a nice and cheap temporary fix by plugging the hole with this handy little gadget called a flue stopper. The one we got in particular is by a manufacturer called Imperial. Here's a link to it: https://www.imperialgroup.ca/produc...ollars-flue-stoppers/adjustable-flue-stopper/

Worked like a charm. And the wood stove installers plugged the pellet stove chimney pipe at the top for us so we don't have to wory about any draft coming in while we figure out a more permanent fix. Thanks for your reply!