Help to ID Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adubree86

May 10, 2016
Overland Park, KS
A local guy has this splitter for sale. He doesn’t know the make or model. Says it isn’t homemade. It has a Honda GX160 but that’s all I know about it. Haven’t gone to look at it yet but was hoping somebody could shed some light of this thing.

1DB901FD-1CED-4821-9329-CFCC147801B5.png

F8663972-0FD1-432B-BAC4-A38726854A21.png

The appearance suggests homemade. Poor design, pump inlet should be below fluid level in tank, control valve set too far back, and the tie-rod cylinder is not what you would typically find on that style of splitter.

Ok. Looks like I will pass on this one. I found a 1 year old Huskee 22 ton with a wood table thats barely been used. Going to look at it tonight. Guy wants $600 for it. I could also purchase a 1 season old swisher 22 ton for $650. Any preference between the two?

Misunderstood, I thought you meant outfeed table, not log catcher. Personally, between the two I still like the valve placement of the first one, but that is just personal pref.

Misunderstood, I thought you meant outfeed table, not log catcher. Personally, between the two I still like the valve placement of the first one, but that is just personal pref.

meaning you prefer the huskee? To me it would seem the valve placement on the huskee would work better when the splitter was vertical.

Well I'm going to look at the Huskee tonight. I like the log catcher it has on it. From what I've seen one of the biggest complaints on the huskees is wood falling off and hitting the hydraulic line and cracking the hose. The shelf on this splitter runs all the back and offers nice protection of the hose.

I think the first post is not homemade. The valve placement and cylinder looks identical to the 1980's 3 point unit I had that had an Energy Hydraulics (USA) cylinder. The rod mount and slide may have been from a kit. The valve looks like an older USA made. It has a stripper bracket also.

How old is it? How much?

I think the first post is not homemade. The valve placement and cylinder looks identical to the 1980's 3 point unit I had that had an Energy Hydraulics (USA) cylinder. The rod mount and slide may have been from a kit. The valve looks like an older USA made.

How old is it? How much?

not sure of the age. He wants $400.

Ok. Looks like I will pass on this one. I found a 1 year old Huskee 22 ton with a wood table thats barely been used. Going to look at it tonight. Guy wants $600 for it. I could also purchase a 1 season old swisher 22 ton for $650. Any preference between the two?
Toss up unless one has a Honda engine then that would be my choice...Honda engines have been ultra reliable in my experience.

I prefer horizontal shaft engines. The engine appears to be an overhead valve type. Age may or may not have an effect on seals. The firstvunit looks closer to the ground and I cannot tell if it swings vertically. The tire is probably flat (jack underneath) I think these cylinders in this era were only rated for 1500psi.

If you do not mind taking a chance, I would offer no more than $200.

I prefer horizontal shaft engines. The engine appears to be an overhead valve type. Age may or may not have an effect on seals. The firstvunit looks closer to the ground and I cannot tell if it swings vertically. The tire is probably flat (jack underneath) I think these cylinders in this era were only rated for 1500psi.

If you do not mind taking a chance, I would offer no more than $200.
Same here on the engine orientation. The old splitter wouldn’t be worth anything to me but yeah maybe a few hundred to someone else. I just sold a nice 3 year old 22 ton splitter with 45 hours on it for $500 and I thought that was a fair price. It sold in 2 hours on CL. My vote is for the Husky. And Husky is a Oregon brand and I like Oregon products... it seems they have all the right stuff! But I’ve never owned a Huskee...

Last edited:
I think the first post is not homemade. The valve placement and cylinder looks identical to the 1980's 3 point unit I had that had an Energy Hydraulics (USA) cylinder. The rod mount and slide may have been from a kit. The valve looks like an older USA made. It has a stripper bracket also.

How old is it? How much?
At first blush I’d say it came over on the Mayflower.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Well I stumbled on a deal yesterday. Brought home an 8 month old CountyLine 22 ton splitter. Paid $450 for it.
Wow, it sounds like you got a deal there! I know up here that a good splitter at a good price goes fast as witnessed when I sold my 22 ton for the $500 I mentioned above. As soon as I posted it on Craig’s List I got calls coming in and it sold fast... 2 hours to be exact and it took the guy an hour to get here. Photos?

I contacted the guy 34 mins after it posted and was able to haggle down the price a bit and had it in my pocession less than an hour after posting. So to say it went fast would be an understatement. I’ll post pics tonight.