Help to identify stove, please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
copper is a soft and very expensive metal so soft that it will try and curl under heat. if it is a thick piece of copper then the guy that put it in spent way more money than a piece of ceramic glass of what the guy did that owned my h2 before me was put in two sheets of glass. and that is what could be that it is eating wood and you are not getting much time out of a load

Thank you for clarifying. The gentleman that retrofitted that piece is a roofer—specifically a copper roof restorer of preservation listed buildings, he stuck in what he had to keep warm on the job site I believe, (as he tells it). It just so happened to be a piece of excess copper from a job, alebit that was a little while ago, though he’s not one to begrudge a man in need the price of copper .

I was worried it might somehow be toxic, but glad to read yours words of caution. Thank you!

Yep - looks like a winner with the Russo. Guess you've seen, but they are still in business - so they might be able to offer technical assistance - possibly even replacement parts:

Your dutiful and on point analysis is above and beyond Corey! Thank you again. I’ll be careful.

This wonderful stove comes with pikes behind the overhang glass view. I believe they’re to help prevent falling (and burning) logs falling into the glass. And not to mention I’ve just observed that the stove still has the bifold steel doors that can close in front of the glass to leave over night (manufacturers sales patch). Overall I’m very happy with this thing. I’d like to to keep you il to date, if I may, as and when the glass arrives and I try things out, if your don’t mind?

Thanks again

Cameron

We throw around the term 'glass' or 'stove glass' but as you mention, we really mean ceramic as in pyroceram, neoceram or robax. While these new ceramics can certainly take more heat than tempered glass, two key things to remember: The main reason they take the heat is that they have essentially zero thermal expansion. So hot and cold does not really 'shock' or stress the glass. But also means you need to account for thermal expansion of the steel stove when you fit your window pane. Also, I haven't noticed the ceramics to be notably more impact resistant than tempered glass. So definitely be careful with logs either way. I've broken at least two panes over the decades. I now take extra care to only put round logs in the back / bottom of the stack!

Your dutiful and on point analysis is above and beyond Corey! Thank you again. I’ll be careful.

This wonderful stove comes with pikes behind the overhang glass view. I believe they’re to help prevent falling (and burning) logs falling into the glass. And not to mention I’ve just observed that the stove still has the bifold steel doors that can close in front of the glass to leave over night (manufacturers sales patch). Overall I’m very happy with this thing. I’d like to to keep you il to date, if I may, as and when the glass arrives and I try things out, if your don’t mind?

Thanks again

Cameron