HELP !! Trying to diagnose issue with Quadra-Fire 800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBC

Nov 18, 2013
Pelham, NH
So it started with a blown fuse. I did a complete cleaning, the blower fan was pretty clogged up. After replacing the fuse I plugged the unit back in and the blower fan came on. The issue is the thermostat is not connected. I connected the thermostat just as a test and the blower stays on as long as the unit is plugged in. Auger is not turning. Looking for a trouble shooting procedure or guidance in fixing this issue. Thanks in Advance !!

Are you talking about the convection (room air) blower or the combustion (exhaust) blower? The convection blower should not come on until the stove is quite hot.

The combustion (exhaust) blower should turn on for 10 minutes when you plug it in. It should also be on when the thermostat calls for heat. The auger will then turn only if the stove detects a vacuum, which requires a good seal on the door. Page 17 of the owners manual describes how to test the door gasket using the "dollar bill test".

Troubleshooting procedures are in the manual, you can download it here:
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/250_2230.pdf

Does the blower stop after you turn down the thermostat? It might take another 5 or 10 minutes.

Are you talking about the convection (room air) blower or the combustion (exhaust) blower? The convection blower should not come on until the stove is quite hot.

The combustion (exhaust) blower should turn on for 10 minutes when you plug it in. It should also be on when the thermostat calls for heat. The auger will then turn only if the stove detects a vacuum, which requires a good seal on the door. Page 17 of the owners manual describes how to test the door gasket using the "dollar bill test".

Troubleshooting procedures are in the manual, you can download it here:
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/250_2230.pdf

Does the blower stop after you turn down the thermostat? It might take another 5 or 10 minutes.

So the combustion blower is turning on immediately after plugging in power cord. Thermostat connections are DISCONNECTED. It is acting as if the thermostat connections were jumpered except for the fact that the auger isn't turning which I expect if the turning on of the exhaust blower is in error. Also measured snap disc 1 & 2 both measure 0 ohms. Checked vacuum line and it is clear. Looked in the manual and did quite a bit of web searching for this error condition and have come up empty....

Is it possible I'm not waiting long enough for it to turn off ?? Waited like 10 minutes at one point. There are some threads out there on other quadra-fire stoves that say after a power outage when re-applying AC power the exhaust fan will run for 18 minutes and thats normal....

I suggest waiting 20 mins and see if it shuts off without it calling for heat. Report back.

Reactions: SwineFlue
So waited longer and the exhaust blower did stop running. Reattached thermostat ( not demanding ), and re-powered. Exhaust fan blew than stopped. Turned up thermostat unit started, auger followed as expected but no flame. After 4 resets emptied out the fire pot and it was stone cold. Removed the ignitor and measured with my meter to a open circuit. I assume it is bad. Could the ignitor failing have been the cause of my original blown fuse sine the ignitor uses 120vac ? I know it's gated through a relay in the control board but still. Also noted that there is another fuse on the control board itself which was not blown. The control circuit on the board must have it's own relay protecting the circuit board and fused 120VAC to the relays...the control circuitry just enables the relays so it is decoupled from the main 120VAC.
Back to my original question...the ignitor is toast correct ??

If it shows as an open circuit... it's completely useless. If you have starting gel or hand sanitizer, you can light it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.