Help w/ Integra Combustion Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RKBAGUY

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Milford, PA
Howdy, folks.

I have a '91 Integra that's been running for me great the past couple years, but the growling from the old bearings suggested they be replaced per this video on YouTube.

Having done so, it seems that I may have screwed something up, because the fan is no longer running after reassembly. It took a bit of 'persuasion' from a plastic mallet to get the new bearings during reassembly, so I don't know if I managed to damage the windings or perhaps the issue is elsewhere.

One thing I notice is that I do get a bit of 'hum' from the motor when I power the stove on, but it's not enough to get her spinning up. Perhaps it's possible I managed to damage the sensor?

Anyway, if you guys can give me some pointers on where to begin testing, that'd be great. I'm really not in a financial position to shell out $300+ for a replacement.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
My guess is the bearings are out of alignment. When you reassembled it did it spin freely? If the bearings are press fit in the housing they will seize the motor shaft if they are out of alignment by just a very little bit. You need to check that it spins freely before you put it back in. You can also check to see if it works by hooking it up to an extension cord before you put it back in the stove.
Ron

My guess is the bearings are out of alignment. When you reassembled it did it spin freely? If the bearings are press fit in the housing they will seize the motor shaft if they are out of alignment by just a very little bit. You need to check that it spins freely before you put it back in. You can also check to see if it works by hooking it up to an extension cord before you put it back in the stove.
Ron
Yes, the motor spins very nicely. I fear I may have whacked it a bit too much trying to get the bearings seated and somehow screwed up either the windings or perhaps the sensor. Could just as easily be the capacitor is hosed, too. I guess I'll have to pull the whole thing out and see if powering it directly helps - I've done all this with the stove in place. Too late for today, I guess I'll give it a stab tomorrow.

Thanks!

Dam,RK,got bumped off net 3 times trying to reply.No 1 if you scotchbrighted the bearing surfaces,shaft and the housing,should have went together very smoothly,light taps with light anything/screwdriver handle,piece of wood etc,BUT I have screwed up the same operation,and just the wrong tap can ruin the brgs,been there done that.Also if you bought cheap skate board brgs,they are packed with grease,not hi temp oil,too much resistance for the precision specs of this motor.Been there,tried that/done that.Take motor apart,insert needle of oil(insulin needle works,i have others for electronics work) and try.Just the resistance on the motor can make a big difference.If not helping,I shall loan you my spare motor assembly,untill it is no longer needed,shall ship it to you as soon as you request.Will leave contact in pm.

Reactions: pinetop12
Dam,RK,got bumped off net 3 times trying to reply.No 1 if you scotchbrighted the bearing surfaces,shaft and the housing,should have went together very smoothly,light taps with light anything/screwdriver handle,piece of wood etc,BUT I have screwed up the same operation,and just the wrong tap can ruin the brgs,been there done that.Also if you bought cheap skate board brgs,they are packed with grease,not hi temp oil,too much resistance for the precision specs of this motor.Been there,tried that/done that.Take motor apart,insert needle of oil(insulin needle works,i have others for electronics work) and try.Just the resistance on the motor can make a big difference.If not helping,I shall loan you my spare motor assembly,untill it is no longer needed,shall ship it to you as soon as you request.Will leave contact in pm.
Bob, that's a very kind and generous offer. I just might take you up on that, if only to have a 2nd unit to test and see if the problem is with my repair, or if there's perhaps something wrong elsewhere. For example, how long does that capacitor last, and what are the symptoms when it goes bad? Or, maybe it's the main circuit board?

Anyway, I'll give you a call later per your PM - we're a few hours apart and I don't want to wake you.

Thanks!

OK, getting warmer - no pun intended.

When replacing the bearings, I knocked off the plastic shield on top that covers the windings. Seems that has to go on a specific way, or perhaps there was something loose I pressed back into place, but she's running now.

Wish me luck... I'm reinstalling now...

9608a010bf63013037074210e9bd5bf3.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good to go. Everything is reassembled, and running. Thanks ever so much to Bob Bare for his typically enthusiastic willingness to help others.

Cool,glad its working.Other than brgs,most common thinks--wires break at the bends,as they have to be removed for cleaning,sensor goes bad because people drop them(sensitive),and the run capacitor dies,old age and/or voltage spikes