Help with an unknown wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mbcik

Dec 30, 2017
Oregon
My parents just bought a cabin with a Quadra Fire wood stove insert. I’m not there with them, so trying to help from remote.

Anybody know what model wood stove this is and how to operate it?

They tried getting it going with some paper and a cedar starter, and apparently smoke is rolling out the bottom. Not sure if maybe the flue is improperly installed or what.

Any help or advise is appreciated!

Attachments

• 34077545-47EC-4FE8-8A38-E866001BB0AB.jpeg
    34077545-47EC-4FE8-8A38-E866001BB0AB.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 85
My parents just bought a cabin with a Quadra Fire wood stove insert. I’m not there with them, so trying to help from remote.

Anybody know what model wood stove this is and how to operate it?

They tried getting it going with some paper and a cedar starter, and apparently smoke is rolling out the bottom. Not sure if maybe the flue is improperly installed or what.

Any help or advise is appreciated!

They said one of the levers/controls says to open only when starting the fire, then to close when a fire is established. I assume this is the control for the air intake.

Looks like it might be a Quadrafire 5100 insert. Download the manual and see if the controls and firebrick pattern match.

Looks like it might be a Quadrafire 5100 insert. Download the manual and see if the controls and firebrick pattern match.

That looks right, thank you begreen! Now we know what the controls do. I’m talking them through the process to see if it was just a poor fire start or something actually wrong.

Has the flue been inspected or cleaned?