Help with chimney sealing topper please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Robster

Jan 31, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I have a wood burning brick fireplace we rarely use. It just has a bird cage top on the terra cotta pipe. about 8x12 inch pipe.
I want to put to good sealing topper on it. I saw the lyemance and thought my birdcage could fit over it also.
I was about to buy one but it says not for use with gas logs. We might want to do gas logs in the future.
Anyone know why they don't want it used with gas logs? Pilot light? Gets too hot for it?
The other option is that weird pop up looking thing I guess. Suggestions welcome!
Thanks!
My first post here

Answering my own question here. I spoke to a better trained person at Woodland direct.
The reason not to use it with gas logs is if you light a fire you will not see any smoke building up in your house if its closed.
With a wood fire you would be alerted that the damper is closed by the smoke.
Just common sense open damper then light fire.

Answering my own question here. I spoke to a better trained person at Woodland direct.
The reason not to use it with gas logs is if you light a fire you will not see any smoke building up in your house if its closed.
With a wood fire you would be alerted that the damper is closed by the smoke.
Just common sense open damper then light fire.
If the gas logs have a standing pilot the damper needs to.be cracked open as well