Help with identifying Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerner

Oct 4, 2008
Mid Atlantic
Hi. I am hoping someone can help me identify the fireplace insert I have. It came with the house and I was wondering if any one can assist me in finding out any inforamtion on this insert.Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely, Greg

Attachments

• Fireplace Insert.jpg
    Fireplace Insert.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 297
Welcome to the forums. Greg !

Are there any stickers, name plates, model numbers, etc, some where to be found?

Every welding shop in the country was making versions of those things in the late seventies and early eighties. It looks like a old Buck Stove, a old Black Bart stove and a couple of hundred others. Which became only twenty makers the day the EPA regs went into effect in 1988.

UL required a manufacturer's plate on the thing and you will find it when you pull it out of the fireplace. Hopefully to send it to the scrap yard.

It's a Buck, the owner's manual for it is at that link I posted. Lol, it's listed under "Old buck manual" in the pdf.

You might be able to get it going, but you would be better served checking into the condition of the chimney and getting a newer, safer, more efficient, and less polluting stove, they aren't necessarily even all that expensive either!

Looks like a slammer too. You can burn a lot more efficiently, cleanly and safely by replacing this old beast. I wouldn't bother with resurrection.

Status
Not open for further replies.