Help with pipe install (appliance adapter)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trudd

Jun 10, 2008
Rhode Island
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Country Flame Harvester and have been getting ready to install it. I picked up a simpson duravent 3" pellet vent kit. I can not get the appliance adapter inserted into the stove. It simply does not fit. The stove calls for 3 or 4" pipe so I did not screw up there. I measured the pipe that exits the stove. It is 3". I also measured the inner opening of that same pipe. It's about 2 3/4" maybe a little more. Is this normal? Should the inner opening be 3" and not the overall diameter? Is it okay to bend the male adapter so that it will fit in the stove? I actually have tried this, this adapter piece is pretty mangled and it STILL won't fit in the stove. Even if it did I don't know that I'd feel safe about connecting them this way. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. I plan on calling Country Flame and Simpson on Monday. My gut tells me that the stove is fine and that the appliance adapter should be smaller in diameter.

Thanks,
Dave

I have the simpson pro kit, stove adapter #3PVP-ADBK and the inner pipe measures 3 inches. Have no stove so not sure what my stove pipe size will be.

On my pellet stove the inlet is just a tad under three inches and the inside pipe of the Simpson appliance adapter fits snugly over the outside of it.

You stove's manual shows a adapter from the manufacturer with a part number on it. Do you have that.

The Quad units we install actually go together better without the stove adaptor. We just take the first piece of pipe and jam it onto the collar with some silicone. It is a pretty tight fit and doesn't leak if sealed well. I saw that adaptor on the Simpson catalog and ordered it for a few jobs, the guys brought it back and said it was useless.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
BrotherBart said:
On my pellet stove the inlet is just a tad under three inches and the inside pipe of the Simpson appliance adapter fits snugly over the outside of it.

You stove's manual shows a adapter from the manufacturer with a part number on it. Do you have that.

I could have probably fit the duravent over the stove's exhaust pipe (meaning the male adapter goes over the exhaust pipe rather than into it) but I didn't think this would be okay. I may give it a try if it has worked for other people.

The only thing I could find in the manual was a part number for a piece manufactured by metal-fab. I called Country Flame to ask them about it.

jtp10181 said:
The Quad units we install actually go together better without the stove adaptor. We just take the first piece of pipe and jam it onto the collar with some silicone. It is a pretty tight fit and doesn't leak if sealed well. I saw that adaptor on the Simpson catalog and ordered it for a few jobs, the guys brought it back and said it was useless.

I did experiment with putting the cleanout tee and other pieces directly onto the stoves exhaust. There is definitely more give in the duravent and they at least start onto the exhaust but are very tight. I think I may be forcing one of these into place as suggested by jtp10181

I did call country flame and hopefully they will return my call. Thanks again everyone I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted.

Dave

Use high temp sealer, it is mandatory.

I didn't use the adapter on my Accentra... put the cleanout T right on the exaust outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.