Help with Sepcs and Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oldmanriverr

Oct 19, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello, I am new to the site and new to using wood stoves. I recently purchased a home that has a oil furnace and I am looking to offset my heating costs by installing a woodstove. I am extremely busy with work and working on the new house and have been doing my research as time allows. In most cases I end up on this website reading posts of others.

I found a couple units for sale locally unfortunately I am having difficulty finding any information on them. Hopefully somebody can provide me some guidance.

I am pretty handy and enjoy taking on projects but this is something completely foreign to me as I have never owned or used a wood-burning stove.

My primary interest with these units are the space they are able to heat and what a fair price for them would be. The picture of the model number is for the second unit. Thanks

A786A50C-D76F-4130-9B25-764D36C8DA03.png EA16919A-AA56-4B8A-8A8B-BC3C7CA50A4F.png DEF32C9E-9E6E-4FBF-B663-485910115657.png 9E9BEC10-5546-43D1-86FD-A5FCB3D1565A.png 89DAF402-020E-4923-9293-A8113D7FAE83.png 46A5EB2F-66E9-4E74-B21D-92BE451D9F1B.png 6681DCCF-0280-465D-9ADC-8FA89542330C.png FADED32C-58DE-4AFF-BC79-7A7E2059AFE4.png

Of the two, the Century with the gold door will definitely burn cleaner and will provide a nice fireview. It's a much more modern stove. With a bit of cleaning up and paint it will look like new.

This is a large stove. What will you be heating with it? How large of an area?

One prerequisite for proper, safe, and satisfying burning is dry firewood. Do you already have a good amount of fully seasoned firewood stored?

Thanks for the prompt reply! I would like to heat my home with it which is ~ 1000 ft.² I just purchased the home so unfortunately I was unable to stockpile any seasoned wood, so I will most likely be paying for it.

I am considering purchasing both as I have a garage I would like to heat as well but my primary concern is heating the home.

What do you feel would be a fair price for each of those units?

I spoke with SBI this morning and all the representative could tell me is that they no longer support this stove (information or parts) and went on to state that the model no I referenced was a 30-40 year old unit.

Any additional info that could be provided would be help in order for me to make the best informed decision possible (known issues/what to look for while inspecting on site prior to purchasing). I enjoy doing research and learning new things but given the timing (getting cold in PA!) and the lack of info I can dig up I’m hoping someone knowledgeable can provide insight/guidance so I can determine if these stoves will suit my needs and are worth acquiring. Thanks

Last edited: