Help with wind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Can you explain ghosting?

Ghosting is a phenomenon caused by a lack of combustion air.
The flames will actually "lift" off the burner & appear to be transparent.

That manometer should work quite well.
The attachment ports for measuring fuel input TO the valve,
& fuel output TO the burner are located below the "On-Pilot-Off"
knob, & are labelled.
You will need to use a small slotted screwdriver to back out the brass screw
in the ports, before attaching the manometer tube.
Once you have taken a reading, do not forget to re-tighten them.

We’ve been in this home for 4 years and have rarely had a functioning fireplace. To make a long story short, many of the issues have been repaired but we still have an issue with the fireplace main burner and pilot going out. I do think happens more regularly during windy conditions. I’m attaching a picture of the vent configuration.

Anything you see here that can be improved?

thanks in advance. The pic inserted sideways for some reason. I am looking at it from below.

Hi, did you ever get your problem fixed? Judging by your picture your exhaust cap is being restricted by all of the wood trim around it. It needs to be removed. The cap should stick out about an inch from any trim

Thanks for asking. I have the technician coming out tomorrow to take a look. I used it last week and it stayed on the entire hour or so that I had it on, so not sure what to think...

Well, looks like I don't have enough gas pressure. They tell me pressure for this unit should be between 6.5 and 9. (Lbs?) It starts with 6.7, drops to 6.2 when the burner is on, and drops to 5.5 when the gas furnace is on. The fireplace guy says that most houses have a separate line for the furnace. Need to contact the plumber and see if they can increase the pressure outside.

Thanks for all your help guys. Not sure why it took 3 years for someone to measure the pressure, but it wouldn't have happened this time unless I told him to. Frustrating as hell but what can you do...