Help With Wood Stove Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AndyinCO

Nov 4, 2022
Colorado
Greetings! My parents are selling their home in Oregon, and they have pretty strict laws about selling a home with an "Uncertified" stove. I'm trying to determine whether their stove is a certified stove, but they've moved out of state, and they don't have specifics on the stove. I'm wondering if anyone here could identify the manufacturer. I know it's a long shot...but I figured it was worth a try!

Thanks for any help you are able to offer.

IMG_8776.jpeg

Greetings! My parents are selling their home in Oregon, and they have pretty strict laws about selling a home with an "Uncertified" stove. I'm trying to determine whether their stove is a certified stove, but they've moved out of state, and they don't have specifics on the stove. I'm wondering if anyone here could identify the manufacturer. I know it's a long shot...but I figured it was worth a try!

Thanks for any help you are able to offer.

View attachment 302051
Looks like a blaze king but really all that matters is does it have an id tag on it and if so what does it say

If it has a tag it should have the brand. If it doesn't have a tag then it's not certified. I don't think that's a Blaze king. I have never seen a step top and left hand opening on a BK. Earth Stove was the only other one I am aware of that was similar. Maybe one of those?

If it has a tag it should have the brand. If it doesn't have a tag then it's not certified. I don't think that's a Blaze king. I have never seen a step top and left hand opening on a BK. Earth Stove was the only other one I am aware of that was similar. Maybe one of those?
I wish I could just go there and check out the stove. I'm in CO and the stove is in OR...and my parents just moved to FL. So we're all unable to physically look at the stove. It kills me to pay someone to decommission the stove if it's on the EPA's acceptable list.

I wish I could just go there and check out the stove. I'm in CO and the stove is in OR...and my parents just moved to FL. So we're all unable to physically look at the stove. It kills me to pay someone to decommission the stove if it's on the EPA's acceptable list.
I really doubt it is honestly

I would agree. I would bet at least $1 that it's an Earth Stove. Their stoves had ceramic inserts and shaped very similar to BKs. And they had left opening doors. Pretty popular stove in the Northwest. They were made in Tualatin Or. None of their stoves were EPA certified.

Old Earth Stove would be my guess. It barely looks used.

Earth stove was what I first thought of. Friend of mine had one growing up. As I recall, very similar, though his had a round ceramic insert on the door and possibly a bit more decoration on the top.

His family kept that thing on a low smoulder all season long and the creosote / tar would make long icicles and drips off of the chimney cap and pipe outside.

But as others have said, this was just a steel firebox and a bit of firebrick if lucky. No EPA cert or anything along those lines that i know of.

Why not just ask @BKVP? I’m sure he could tell us if it’s a “rare” BK.

I’ll stick with guessing it’s a BK, just by the stove shape and maybe the door. Just a guess.

I’ve seen a few stoves with similar looking “BK” ceramics in the door and the stoves were neither a BK nor an Earth Stove. The seller said what brand they were, but I don’t recall.

I’ll stick with guessing it’s a BK, just by the stove shape and maybe the door. Just a guess.
You could be right. Most of the old Earth stoves had 2 door handles, but most of the BKs had side ceramics too. This looks more modern like a Princess ordered without the glass door, but the door handle is on the wrong side and the ceramic doesn't look like the flaming log.

Reactions: Hoytman
There was a Prestige Stove that bore close resemblance to BK stoves, but I think they had the left side door handle.
@AndyinCO can you ask your parents to see if there is a UL label on the back identifying the stove? If so, a picture of it would be helpful. I'd say there is a good chance it is not a certified stove, but would like to do more than guess.

Here's a FAQ on uncertified stoves in OR.

Prestige I believe. They pop up relatively regular around here on CL or FB market place.

A couple of points:

1) Not ours
2) Earthstove did have EPA Certified models (bought by Lennox)
3) BK's always had 3 ceramics on the face
4) Likely not EPA Certified. Remember, OR DEQ stoves 1984-1988 are grandfathered in and appear on EPA's previously Certified list.

You could be right. Most of the old Earth stoves had 2 door handles, but most of the BKs had side ceramics too. This looks more modern like a Princess ordered without the glass door, but the door handle is on the wrong side and the ceramic doesn't look like the flaming log.
Yeah…hard to see the ceramic up close and clear in this phone. The top throws me as well, but that classic shape of the lower sides is what got me.

Prestige I believe. They pop up relatively regular around here on CL or FB market place.
Could very well be the stove name that I couldn’t recall.

They sure seemed to copy the BK styling. I thought maybe BK put the door on the opposite side for someone. Hint … hint … an option I think all manufacturers should offer to their customers. Even with a stove in the middle of a large room it doesn’t really matter which way the door opens, BUT it would be helpful to have the choice so a person could order the stove door opening to match the door entrance on the home that way the stove door is never in the way of carrying wood and stacking near the stove.

A couple of points:

1) Not ours
2) Earthstove did have EPA Certified models (bought by Lenox)
3) BK's always had 3 ceramics on the face
4) Likely not EPA Certified. Remember, OR DEQ stoves 1984-1988 are grandfathered in and appear on EPA's previously Certified list.
If it’s not BK’s then it appears someone borrowed their styling some. That’s interesting. It does have a similar belly “look” to it.

Thanks for your help.