Help with wood use estimates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bailenforcer

Sep 16, 2007
I bought a small cabin 24 x 24 and it has 2 x 6 walls packed with NEW R-21 insulation, attic has NEW 24 inches of Cellulose. It sits on a slab (Modified garage package) All sill plates are bottom filled with closed cell foam for the bottom 6 inches to make sure insects never get in.

I am thinking of adding another foot in the attic space.

I have an Avalon 996 stove EPA rated but in near brand new condition.

I will also have a Big E pellet stove as backup for this winter and will replace that with a Williams Propane 35,000 or 50,000 BTU gravity wall furnace next spring.

My goal is to use wood as an only heat source when home which will be 99% of the time since I retired. Basically shopping for food once a month is my only desire to leave.

I need to guess how many full or face cords I need for a winter, this place is sealed up pretty tight..

Does anyone has any idea what to expect for wood use? with the Avalon 996 stove?

In order to estimate wood consumption, it would help to have a general location or state. Can you add this to your avatar?

The Avalon is serious overkill for the space, but then so would almost any wood stove be in a well insulated 576 sq ft space. I suspect it will drive you out quickly with a full load of wood. And it will need a full load of wood for an overnight burn. The slab, if uninsulated will suck up a lot of heat to the ground so that may balance things out a little.