Help wood stove/chimney poor draft after 15 years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "furnace" is a boiler and with its bowerfull burner fan motor and a "tight"(er) house a portion of the air required to make up the combustion air for the boiler is being sucked down the adjacent chimney. One solution -lower cost- is to have a "frash air boot" system installed on the burner, this system provides a direct OUTSIDE air supply for the boiler and effectively stops the depresurization of the COMBUSTION AIR ZONE in this case the basement.

To Update 4:
do you have a window in that basement that can open? If so open it, then test the status of your stove draft, if that helps consider installing a passive 4" pvc exterior air intake adjacent to the stove ( put a "J" in the bottom - just above the floor- to stop a chimney effect when the stove is off)

Hunstman said:
Update3

I sealed the small are where the possible leak was. I am not sure if it was my imagination, but the stove seemed to light/burn better, for a little while, then it started to die out again!

Its hard to believe the stove started leaking that bad over the summer, to the point where it won't draw, but no visible leaks.

Back to square 1, can't keep a fire burning. The only options I see at this point are:

1 Try a fan on the top
2 Try a Draw Collar
3 try a new stove, if that does not help
4 try a new chimney

Does anyone have any experience with either the fans on top of the chimney or the draw collar? Since this worked for so long either fix kinda sound like a bandid fix, but??

Options 3-4 are the most expensive, and 4 is also a lot of work! Not sure if it is Worth it?

At this point I really don't know what to try. The other thought was to wait until warmer weather, take the stove outside and use black pipe to connect a chimney of the same specs as the one I have. If it burns properly that would indicate a chimney draft problem, if not a stove problem??

As always any other advise

Thanks

The Draw Collar worked great for us!

also check with this guy.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/member/17075/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/47730/#529980

Attachments

• Draw Collar Burrville.jpg
    Draw Collar Burrville.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 319
Have you tried to read the draft inside your flue. You need a draft guage inserted into the connector with a fire going in order to get a reading. What kind of stove do you have? In a basement you may not have enough air supply to keep the stove going. Try opening a window while the fire is going to see if you can keep it going. Then you know you need more air to the stove.

Seven posts all with the same pitch. If you want to advertise, tell the bosses to contact the webmaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.