HELP!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KSfisherman12

Jul 29, 2017
Manhattan, KS
I am purchasing a home just outside Manhattan, KS. Apparently, this old stove does not have the UL placard anywhere on it. My insurance company is going to make me remove it from the house if I cannot figure out any information about the unit. First, does anyone have any idea what brand or model of stove this is? I looked it over pretty good and all I can find is on the back of the unit, its stamped "made in Taiwan".

If it helps the owner of the home installed the stove in 1978 or 79.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• wood stove pic.jpg
    wood stove pic.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 191
Regardless it is an unlisted stove which means 36" to any combustibles. And that includes combustibles behind that stone wall. You do get i beleive 1/3 reduction if the stone is atleast 4" which would bring that down to 2'. You also need 18" of hearth infront of the stove. And if that crock is going through a combustible wall it needs 12" of solid masonry surrounding it.

Reactions: KSfisherman12
If you want to actually use the stove for anything other than decoration replacing it probably would not be a bad idea anyway.

Thanks for the reply. To add to the information, directly below this stove in the basement, there is another big stove. Ill try to find the picture of it to attach to this message. Apparently when the owner installed the two stoves he "plumbed" them into the same chimney flue. I got them inspected and obviously was told this is not correct and each stove needs its own chimney or pipe. Would I be fine if I took the upstairs stove completely out, then "capped" the opening around the stone were the pipe enters the chimney? That would get rid of the upstairs unit and keep the down stairs still operational in my opinion. This is my first real experience with stoves and Im not very educated with them. Do they make some kind of cap that I can install? Where could I find them?

Thanks again for all the information!

Attachments

• wood stove pic 2.jpg
    wood stove pic 2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 162
  • wood stove pic 3.jpg
    wood stove pic 3.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 165
I am purchasing a home just outside Manhattan, KS. Apparently, this old stove does not have the UL placard anywhere on it. My insurance company is going to make me remove it from the house if I cannot figure out any information about the unit. First, does anyone have any idea what brand or model of stove this is? I looked it over pretty good and all I can find is on the back of the unit, its stamped "made in Taiwan".

If it helps the owner of the home installed the stove in 1978 or 79.

Thanks for your help!
It's a copy of a Jotul Combifire, probably made by Scandia. The big stove in the basement looks like an old Earth Stove.

For sure you'll want to address the chimney issue. To seal up the hole it should be bricked and mortared. But first, inspect what is there. If the goal is to heat with wood safely then you need to know where you are starting from. The chimney may need a stainless liner to make it safe. A certified sweep can give you a safety assessment. www.csia.org

Is the chimney clay lined? What is the ID of the chimney?

Awesome info!

I looked up Jotul stoves and my upstairs stove is in fact the combifire #4. After finding its owners manual online I found out that it is UL listed. I'm hoping my insurance company won't make me replace it right away now. Im sure the big Earth Stove down stairs will help heat the house fairly well all by itself. Would ya'll agree? The house is about 2,400sqft. Someday down the road, I would like to replace the Jotul stove with something that has a glass front and is more aesthetically pleasing.

I had it all inspected by a certifies sweep. Granted, I was still living in Missouri at the time and have no clue how detailed he looked over the system. He only told me about the issue of both stoves going to the one chimney. He didn't say anything about a stainless liner or clay lined. I think I should give him a call and see if he remembers what he saw that day.

Thanks

Awesome info!

I looked up Jotul stoves and my upstairs stove is in fact the combifire #4. After finding its owners manual online I found out that it is UL listed. I'm hoping my insurance company won't make me replace it right away now. Im sure the big Earth Stove down stairs will help heat the house fairly well all by itself. Would ya'll agree? The house is about 2,400sqft. Someday down the road, I would like to replace the Jotul stove with something that has a glass front and is more aesthetically pleasing.

I had it all inspected by a certifies sweep. Granted, I was still living in Missouri at the time and have no clue how detailed he looked over the system. He only told me about the issue of both stoves going to the one chimney. He didn't say anything about a stainless liner or clay lined. I think I should give him a call and see if he remembers what he saw that day.

Thanks
If it says made in taiwan it is not a jotul. Also even if it was ul listed if it does not have the plate it is not listed anymore. And if you want to keep both you will need another chimney.

Ask if he checked the clearance for the stoves also. They both look too close to the wall but it's hard to tell from a photograph.

regardless of what happens the installer did some nice stone work they are beautiful up and down

thanks for everything guys! I'll let you know if I have anymore questions! Also, Ill get back with you when I speak to the inspector and let you know what he says.

Thanks