HELPP!!! Summers Heat auger fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdp7462

Jan 10, 2007
Hi All
This morning I woke up to that "no pellet, fire went out" smell that I am accustom to sometimes when the pellets get stuck up on the sides of my hopper. It was weird since I just put a bag in at about 1130 last night, so 530am sounded like a short time to have that happen. I came downstairs, no fire in the pot, still plenty of pellets in the hopper. I opened the door and it was full of smoke. I noticed that the lower auger was not turning like it usually does, so I poked around and found charred pellets in the tube. I then emptied the hopper of pellets and noticed that there was some smoke coming out on top. My wife is nos long past freaked out, and I am not sure if it is the lower auger that went or if there is something more dangerous. I have had this stove just about a year 4 inch direct vent and then a vertical of about 5 feet to a termination cap. Any info on this would be great, I am not sure how to get the rest of the pellets out of the tube and if I should be looking for something more than just the auger!

First unplug the stove. Grab the lower auger motor and try lift it by hand. see if the auger moves. The auger could just be jammed. If it is stuck you might have to unbolt the auger and pull it out. The DVD with the stove will show you how. PDF's of how to do this and other things are here: http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/PelletServicing.html. As for the smoke on top. make sure the hopper cover gasket is good and sealed. You may need to replace it or just adjust the latches. Also I had a problem with a vacuum leak because I left the two top bolts out of the backing plate.

Hope this helps.

That bottom auger should be moving almost all the time to allow the pellets in the bottom auger tube to be moving out , for more pellets to be dropping by the top
auger. Disconnect the bottom auger shaft and start you stoves with no lighting of the pellets and see if the bottom auger works. Also make sure your hopper gasket is good and that you latches are not loose. Air will flow down into the hopper and then through the top auger , into the bottom auger. The flames will follow that air where ever it is coming from. Air is what makes the pellets burn faster.

So when I came home from work tonight, I ran the stove in diagnostic mode for about 15 min. The upper auger worked fine, but the lower auger worked fine for like 5 min and then would stopp. A lot of partially burnt pellets came out, and then the auger stopped at like the "12 oclock" position. I lifted it up and down from the burnpot side and it started up again, for another 5 min or so. Since then it seems stuck again. It has not moved but the other portions of the diagnostic test are still going....does that mean that I've got a blocked auger or is it closer to a motor that needs replacing? Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.