Here’s what I’ve got... looking for a new small stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
What is the old kitchen to become? Is there a mudroom attached? If so, maybe enlarge the opening between this area and the proposed kitchen space and put the stove in there?

What we'd like to do is take down the wall between the two rooms. The kitchen will remain a kitchen, but the table will be moved out to the new dining room. Where the wall was we would like to put a bar or island. Leaving that wall and putting a stove on one side, while it might be a possibility, would really shoot down my wifes dreams of having even more seating and getting that island she's always wanted. Really the only two spots that make any sense at this point are plan A and C. I've already pretty much nixed plan B. I just don't like it there due to having the chimney in the front of the house.

Plan C makes a lot more sense when thinking of a whole house heating method. That's the upside. The down side would be less ambiance, reduced kitchen seating and surface area. All that won't be met with enthusiasim from my wife.

Plan A makes sense to me for a few reasons. The concrete slab and tile hearth is just too easy and makes too much sense. I plan on just having about a 4 1/2 ft wide stretch of tile from the doorway to the woodstove corner.No combustibles or hearth size I'd keep my woodpile right out the backdoor. Plan A isn't central and the smaller stove in that room wouldn't heat the majority of the house, but I suppose it's about a compromise. I get a wood stove in the main living area. She gets the bigger kitchen.

In response to your private mail asking about the stove being too close to the a/c, I don't think I'd worry much.
The 17 is double walled on the back, top and sides.
I'm not running a fan on mine, and have it fairly cose to a wood chest of drawers.
Running the fan would reduce the sidewall temps.
If it did get too warm, a piece of concrete board painted up nice would be an easy temporary shield in the winter.

Rob

Well, it looks like I might have a change a plans here after all. I had a conversation with my wife about it and I think we made a good compromise that will end up with some better plans.

Essentially I think we are going to create a large window in the wall between the kitchen and new dining room. On one side in the kitchen we will have a bar.On the other side I will get my stove and hearth. Plan C wins!

She will loose 2 seats but still get a more open view. This should also help with heat flow. I'll get a bigger stove with more time between reloads in a better, more central, location.

This spot will require a chimney with a short kick in the attic in order to get it behind the ridge beam and coming out in the back of the house.
offset-installation.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem though.

Ultimately I'm thinking of a 13nc. It fits the budget. The minimum hearth size works well. Looks like a good size stove for the house. I'd like to avoid a hearth any bigger than 42" deep. Width won't be a problem. I know the R value for the hearth on the 13 is kinda high, but that shouldn't be a problem either.

I've looked at a lot of stoves online and priced several through local dealers. Right now I'm hoping to stay around $1K on the stove. In that price range it's hard to find a stove that will work on the hearth size I'd like.

Thoughts?.....

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Measure the attic section of the flue very carefully. Drill a tiny 1/8" pilot hole at the center point of the support box and double check everything. Most major pipe suppliers will have offset tables in their catalog to help out. If things are tight you might want to put the offset in the room instead.

Download the 13NC manual if you haven't already. This stove needs a well-insulated, R=2.0 hearth and generous clearances. If this is an issue, perhaps consider a Napoleon 1400 or a PE Super 27 instead?

Nice job on the room addition...If you decide on a Tribute, I have one for sale...I bought it last Sept from Craigslist and used it this past season...it works great but I'm looking for a larger stove for longer burns...it's 3 years old, black matte...let me know if you're interested... thanks

BeGreen said:
Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Measure the attic section of the flue very carefully. Drill a tiny 1/8" pilot hole at the center point of the support box and double check everything. Most major pipe suppliers will have offset tables in their catalog to help out. If things are tight you might want to put the offset in the room instead.

Download the 13NC manual if you haven't already. This stove needs a well-insulated, R=2.0 hearth and generous clearances. If this is an issue, perhaps consider a Napoleon 1400 or a PE Super 27 instead?

BG I saw the PE Summit and Super 27 at the dealer in porcelain enamel and thought they were the best looking steel stoves I have seen yet! They were priced lower than the Alderlea and a good deal.. Looking forward to seeing my T-5 run and hope it does not disappoint! The Alderlea's get good reviews, the only bad ones I read appeared to be poor firewood related..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.