Hey guys is it true with some routers or modems can't turn off wifi?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2008
ky
Recently ta other home had DSL it self reinstalled last week. Hope to move there permantely soon.
well anyway found out the installer said the previous router wouldn't work. I just found out and IM FURIOUS. Is that true. ?????Hubby did NOT voluntarily tell me either. And he was formerly in the the know.. I guess I will have to disconnect if I can NOT turn it of. He said it has no antenna on it either.
I will have nothin to do with wireless. Yeah I know its nice and convenient but t what price?
but I don't trust it ..Hubby ran cat 5 or 6 dal cords and we put in several switches running from the router yrs ago. in about every room too...
right now this PUTER in this HOUSE has a cord out the side ...to a switch
Otherwise it sledgehammer time. I I can't disable;e it.Yeah Ill miss it but....
WHAT YALL say??????
thank y'all

Recently ta other home had DSL it self reinstalled last week. Hope to move there permantely soon.
well anyway found out the installer said the previous router wouldn't work. I just found out and IM FURIOUS. Is that true. ?????Hubby did NOT voluntarily tell me either. And he was formerly in the the know.. I guess I will have to disconnect if I can NOT turn it of. He said it has no antenna on it either.
I will have nothin to do with wireless. Yeah I know its nice and convenient but t what price?
but I don't trust it ..Hubby ran cat 5 or 6 dal cords and we put in several switches running from the router yrs ago. in about every room too...
right now this PUTER in this HOUSE has a cord out the side ...to a switch
Otherwise it sledgehammer time. I I can't disable;e it.Yeah Ill miss it but....
WHAT YALL say??????
thank y'all
Being wired does not do a thing to protect you against the things you are worried about. You can still turn the computer off.

Reactions: Jeremy8916
Come on. You must know that computer is not spelled puter? What is a dal cord?

Why should we waste our time trying to help you if you can't bother to type out real words?

Reactions: semipro
Unless she is worried about the wireless frequencies that are going everywhere possibly causing health issues...
I won't discount the possibility that there are health issues, but, that, I don't know anything about. Plus, the tinfoil hat should protect me from any damages waves, if there are any.

I got the district impression that she's worried about her privacy being violated, identity stolen, etc.

Hard to tell what the exact problem is from reading that. But sounds like the hammer fix is on stand by.

If it's a Wi-Fi router then it's Wi-Fi whenever it's powered. So a new non Wi-Fi router might be needed. Do they still make them?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
My Zoom router has the ability to disable the WiFi function, but still act as a wired modem. I use it if an iPad or laptop are using too much bandwidth doing their backups when I'm on the main "puter". ;)

Maybe she's worried that a neighbor or cohabitant will intercept her data.

okay so I mis spelled DSL cord.I don't want wireless at all. I want to be able to use my Ethernet port on each of my many devices. Like I told yell we have the hardwired cords in every room but the bathroom I have four internet radios plus 3 older internet radios. Only use this thru the Ethernet cords. even thought they have wifi ability.
I am listning to my little Logitech internet RADIO right now as Im typing this post..
so what wrong with shortcut of puter for computer.? sportbikerider78 sorry I Im wasting YOUR time.
Maple1. yes I dont want the health issues. Yeah I got several non wifi routers from previous home. and thrift stores. etc. but don't know if they the DA provider will accept.
I won't give up easily. Hope to make it to other house this week.to try and disable it.

Im serious y'all. I have never used wireless in all my Years of computering. I don't intend to start now..I own a prepaid flip old cellphone but prob don't even use once a month.I don't turn it on till needed.
all my landlines phones plug into the wall I threw away all my cordless phones too.
I dont joke about such stuff. I wish I could even go off grid. I guess Ill have to try ways myself or it back to radio am. an listen to some of my a radio programs via telephone. I did do a search engine yeah.
Ah... you don't have to worry about your data if not using wireless....unless you mean BIG BROTHER I don't do online crap like banking. My computers get turned off and unplugged when not being used.
I thought I could count on YOU GUYS

post the model numbers for the router(s) your asking about. Most can have wifi disabled.

If you got the router in a self install kit Im suprised it has wireless unless you opted to pay for wireless equipment from your provider. Might want to check on that if thats the case. Usually they offer wifi for $5 a month more or so and they give you a wifi router otherwise you get a router without wifi.

Jeanw, there's some value in buying an updated router. I'm in the middle of replacing a perfectly good five year old Cisco RVG042 with a newer model from Cisco. The old one was $100 or so, the new one was 50% more (roughly).

The routers I use have no wifi capability. I do that downstream of the router. In my experience, most good routers that have wifi built-in allow you to turn off the wifi feature and use the router as a wired-only router.

Routers do more than just route. If configured properly, they act as firewalls, keeping bad people off your network.

It doesn't take long for a computer on an open network to be sniffed and probed. You power on your computer, 30 seconds later you'll be pinged by automated programs looking to gain access to your data.

Best thing you can do is to own a relatively recent router, update its firmware regularly and have it properly configured. Unfortunately, 95% of house owners are not capable of doing the latter two. it's not their fault...the industry has made this stuff really complex. My wife keeps asking me "what do normal people do...who do they call...". Usually, most normal people don't have access to someone who can do the basic diagnostic and configuration work. So they take a perfectly good two year old malware infested computer and throw it out.

Last edited:
I have 2 wireless-n routers, tp-link and d-link. Both can have wifi disabled. My isp router that was supplied is better than both of the routers I own and also can disable the radios. Its usually in the wireless section. I would dare say however, there is likely little to no real concern based on the tiny amount of power a wifi enabled device can transmit.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

okay so I mis spelled DSL cord.I don't want wireless at all. I want to be able to use my Ethernet port on each of my many devices. Like I told yell we have the hardwired cords in every room but the bathroom I have four internet radios plus 3 older internet radios. Only use this thru the Ethernet cords. even thought they have wifi ability.
I am listning to my little Logitech internet RADIO right now as Im typing this post..
so what wrong with shortcut of puter for computer.? sportbikerider78 sorry I Im wasting YOUR time.
Maple1. yes I dont want the health issues. Yeah I got several non wifi routers from previous home. and thrift stores. etc. but don't know if they the DA provider will accept.
I won't give up easily. Hope to make it to other house this week.to try and disable it.

Im serious y'all. I have never used wireless in all my Years of computering. I don't intend to start now..I own a prepaid flip old cellphone but prob don't even use once a month.I don't turn it on till needed.
all my landlines phones plug into the wall I threw away all my cordless phones too.
I dont joke about such stuff. I wish I could even go off grid. I guess Ill have to try ways myself or it back to radio am. an listen to some of my a radio programs via telephone. I did do a search engine yeah.
Ah... you don't have to worry about your data if not using wireless....unless you mean BIG BROTHER I don't do online crap like banking. My computers get turned off and unplugged when not being used.
I thought I could count on YOU GUYS
If you have a bank, you are doing online banking. Your bank is fully wired up to the internet, cloud, etc., and just because you have chosen to not access it yet doesn't mean that it's not accessible to the baddies should they get in. Same thing with all of your personal information that the govt, credit cards, etc. keep. You do watch the news, read newspapers, etc.? There was a story in the last 2 years concerning a govt data breach, and many more about financial institutions.

I don't discount the possibility that there are long term health affects from the frequency that the wifi uses, but I challenge you to prove that there are not similar affects from the stuff that you are comfortable with, like the am radio. And, if you are over 40, long term means longer than you need to worry about. You should be far more concerned about any processed food you eat, sun exposure that you get, or vices that you endulge in, such as tobacco or alcohol.

My parents are the same way, and I've had as much success with them as I suspect that I will have with you. The ship that you are worried about sailed some time ago. You can achieve what you hope to, but only if you move someplace remote and go completely off-grid, including going dark from the govt and all modern (non cash or barter) transactions.

They just asked for help with their router jeez...

Reactions: Sprinter
Come on. You must know that computer is not spelled puter? What is a dal cord?

Why should we waste our time trying to help you if you can't bother to type out real words?
Lighten up a little, guys. This is an informal forum, not a PhD dissertation. She asked for help, not a spelling lecture.

If she's concerned about RF health issues, she's not the only person that have asked for my opinion on that subject by friends. My advice often goes unheeded, because such fears are quite real to many. As they say, perception is reality, including for my own sister and a few other friends, and I respect their concerns.

Edit: If the concern is for privacy issues, that's a whole other can of worms, but it's still an issue that is very real to the OP, and many, many others.

Earlier posts regarding the ability to switch off the RF wifi features of modems and routers have covered her question I believe.

BTW, the quote in my signature is purely coincidental...

Last edited:
Lighten up a little, guys. This is an informal forum, not a PhD dissertation. She asked for help, not a spelling lecture.

If she's concerned about RF health issues, she's not the only person that have asked for my opinion on that subject by friends. My advice often goes unheeded, because such fears are quite real to many. As they say, perception is reality, including for my own sister and a few other friends, and I respect their concerns.

Edit: If the concern is for privacy issues, that's a whole other can of worms, but it's still an issue that is very real to the OP, and many, many others.

Earlier posts regarding the ability to switch off the RF wifi features of modems and routers have covered her question I believe.

BTW, the quote in my signature is purely coincidental...
You are right, sprinter, no need to share bad moods here. That said, you have to appreciate the irony of someone expressing privacy concerns on a interweb message board.

You are right, sprinter, no need to share bad moods here. That said, you have to appreciate the irony of someone expressing privacy concerns on a interweb message board.
Yeah, I think it's the privacy issue that's of concern here after re-reading the thread. And it's totally understandable given the headlines lately. Personally, I don't blame the OP a bit for being concerned about it. Frankly, I have concerns of my own. I'm not paranoid about it, but one does have to be careful. The hackers are getting very good, and unfortunately, we are not getting very good at suppressing their efforts.

Big governments like Russia, N. Korea, etc, have very talented people and lots of money to back them and the internet is a wide open field to play in.

In this particular case with the OP, turning off the wifi's RF signal isn't the answer assuming it's password protected. A good password strategy can go a long way, as can other efforts, but internet privacy is a real issue that must be addressed better than we are now.

It's a quite complex issue that is getting way beyond the understanding of most people, so the headlines take over. That can be dangerous in itself.

just first got on here. the web that is......Privacy is not my main concern. health is. well any way
We have been here several days. Now main worry is keeping warm. Sure miss the outdoor Hardy. so and cold icy outside.t He hope to get something else later that takes less feeding of logs every couple of hours. but can't worry about that till winter has passed.
One thing after another. the split mini system heating part in the 2nd home HERE
won't heat even above freezing. My Sweet H procrastinated... we both have those bad "going around "colds or flus.even though I wear gloves everywhere and avoid most places.
Hubby forgot to turn off the water at the Purgatory house. Maybe that dang little propane heater went out there too.I Pray the water lines don't freeze and the house flooded. Roads are icy.. It Hubby also forgot to turn off th well pump too...
The basement small propane heater keeps going out.here. Its Sunday now. Hubby procrastinate and didn't buy a thermocouples or the propane line is frozen. I HATE winter. The propane outdoor furnace at purgatory house won't light. Guy said prob couldn't come till Thursday..
well anyway haven't had time to mess with the wifi router. So far put a big old pretzel can over the router temporarily. I and course use my ETHERNET cords.
Our feather girls are not being fed even though we bought the feed. they were so hungry the other cold nite we stopped by and took them some stuff. they were starving. their water freeze.
we supplied them with a new Marine battery and heated pet bowl and convertor.
Hubby said I couldn't keep my feather girls so gave them up GRUDGILY. I try not to think about their lack of basic care Ill start bawling.
but I thank God we ;re still alive
and electric only went out for 10 minutes so far. More bad weather and snow coming.
I really don't worry lots about internet privacy since I don't keep anything sensitive don't do emails.. I keep computer and wifi unplugged most of time. Yeah I know about net neutrality.. Hate BIG NANNY state BIG BROTHER government . but I take one day or week at a time and Hubby is alive. We are blessed and lots others are a whole lot worse off.He said he may drive back to other house tomorrow. but its not worth it if he gets hurt
thank all

If you post the model number of your wifi router/modem. Im sure someone can look up how to disable wifi or confirm it cant be disabled.

just first got on here. the web that is......Privacy is not my main concern. health is. well any way
We have been here several days. Now main worry is keeping warm. Sure miss the outdoor Hardy. so and cold icy outside.t He hope to get something else later that takes less feeding of logs every couple of hours. but can't worry about that till winter has passed.
One thing after another. the split mini system heating part in the 2nd home HERE
won't heat even above freezing. My Sweet H procrastinated... we both have those bad "going around "colds or flus.even though I wear gloves everywhere and avoid most places.
Hubby forgot to turn off the water at the Purgatory house. Maybe that dang little propane heater went out there too.I Pray the water lines don't freeze and the house flooded. Roads are icy.. It Hubby also forgot to turn off th well pump too...
The basement small propane heater keeps going out.here. Its Sunday now. Hubby procrastinate and didn't buy a thermocouples or the propane line is frozen. I HATE winter. The propane outdoor furnace at purgatory house won't light. Guy said prob couldn't come till Thursday..
well anyway haven't had time to mess with the wifi router. So far put a big old pretzel can over the router temporarily. I and course use my ETHERNET cords.
Our feather girls are not being fed even though we bought the feed. they were so hungry the other cold nite we stopped by and took them some stuff. they were starving. their water freeze.
we supplied them with a new Marine battery and heated pet bowl and convertor.
Hubby said I couldn't keep my feather girls so gave them up GRUDGILY. I try not to think about their lack of basic care Ill start bawling.
but I thank God we ;re still alive
and electric only went out for 10 minutes so far. More bad weather and snow coming.
I really don't worry lots about internet privacy since I don't keep anything sensitive don't do emails.. I keep computer and wifi unplugged most of time. Yeah I know about net neutrality.. Hate BIG NANNY state BIG BROTHER government . but I take one day or week at a time and Hubby is alive. We are blessed and lots others are a whole lot worse off.He said he may drive back to other house tomorrow. but its not worth it if he gets hurt
thank all
I feel for you, one day at a time and it will get better.

I feel for you, one day at a time and it will get better.
well I finally got into the software and disabled the wireless. but I will feel better when or if I could disable the router physically do something so that wireless is impossible and wired only will work the unit is an Actiontec T3200.....It doesn't have an antennae I can break off or choke; LOL
thanks y'all