Hey Heritage owners, Question? Others can chime in too!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Hearth Supporter
Apr 4, 2007
I was just wondering if what length do you typically cut and what diameter. Do you have more success with splits or rounds as far as heat output.
I know that different woods and moisture play a role. Im just wondering in general what do you prefer? and why ?

First year to cut wood and put up 12 cord. I tried to cut as close to 16" as possible. I hand split it all and tried to have both larger and smaller splits. Now that I'm actually using the wood I'm glad I did both. The smaller splits made it easier for me when the burning season started - an even now when I want to rekndle from coals. On the other hand, it's nice to have some big splits for longer burns/fewer trips to the wood pile. I could probably get 3 of my larger splits in the stove with one or two smaller ones tucked in also. Most of my splits were wedge shape and it wasn't until the final couple of cords that I began slabbing some of the splits. The slabs work well for packing the stove tighter. I hope to cut and split another 5-10 cords this summer and will use what I've learned from this burning season.

I cut it 16" more or less, and any thing that is more than 6" across gets split again unless its really stubborn. Then it becomes an all nighter.
Dan.

This totally depends on the stove, 16" is a good size for many. But if you have a smaller stove or one that requires 14" for north/south loading, then so be it.

I stop splitting when a split fits into the side or fount door. Short fat chunks can go in front to back, side by side in the fount door. Long max ones in the side door, some times at a angle to fit. If a chunk of wood fits in that all that matters.

I cut the last 10 cords to 16" length. This was largely since my saw's bar is 16" long and it made measuring easier. The Heritage will take, is supposed to take, a 21 inch log but if you cut to 21 then you will be sorry. I wish I had cut to 18 or 19 instead of 16. I have run into a few long splits that were near 20 that took a little extra finesse to get into the heritage but one in there they burned longer since the ends of the wood were not as exposed to the fire. Meaning, the tighter the fit, the less of the log is burning at any one time.

This year I'll shott for 18-19. I always split pretty big when the wood is being processed and then split those smaller as needed when I bring the wood in for burning. I also split up some 3 inchers for fire starting at burn time.

First year for me and our Tribute. I can't fit much bigger then 14 as a max length. I am cutting about 13"-14" The length is important I have found with this small fire box. It's hard to fit allot in there! I'm leaning to the small side for the size of the splits to get more in the box for now, I'm still learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.