Hi, new here and curious about some tree IDs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danpa625

Mar 17, 2016
Central PA
I bought a triaxle of hardwood from a logging company nearby. I was bummed that he didnt have any oak, however there are some other possibly decent species in this pile.

I'll upload some pics, a bunch of it looks like honey locust or some type of birch. Splits like butter and it's a salmon color in the middle.
A good bit of this stuff has a lot of bark removed and I was wondering if it was honey locust it would be to remove the Thorns.
I'll upload soon, you seem like a passionate group . I have firewood fever, every down tree I'm looking to fetch. My wagon holds a fair amount but the suspension don't like it.

I'm from central PA so that might help with some of the id's I post

20160323_203755.jpg

That looks like cherry of some sort or maple. Honey locust is a yellowish color when split.

Hard to tell with the pic, but welcome aboard! ;)

Yeah, looks Cherry-y to me...

I see cherry too. Fresh cherry splits have a distinct "sweet" aroma. Did you notice that when splitting?

It smells good when split. I was hoping not cherry since there is so much of it. The little horizontal markings where pushing me toward birch but I was unsure.
It seems really heavy almost as heavy as hard maple or black locust

I'll get up some better pics and some others that I'm not sure about.
I have a weird maple? I'm guessing, smells very musty like almost blackish red in the center

It's definitely black cherry.
I'm in southwest pa that stuff is everywhere. Pretty much all I burn.

Can I ask how much you paid and how much wood you got?
I wouldn't be upset about cherry, it's no oak or locust but it's not bad to split it. And burns pretty good. Also it seasons pretty quick. Oak takes forever

700 for the triaxle, logs were all pretty straight a small enough diameter to work with easily. There was 7 small locust 3 small shagbark hi corky and an almost even amount of the cherry and beech. There was no paper birch or light hardwoods

700 for the triaxle, logs were all pretty straight a small enough diameter to work with easily. There was 7 small locust 3 small shagbark hi corky and an almost even amount of the cherry and beech. There was no paper birch or light hardwoods
Thanks. Would be interested in how many cords you get.
I paid $130 a cord here for cut split delivered locust/cherry.
But I may be in the market for a bulk order to split with my pops this year

Thanks. Would be interested in how many cords you get.
I paid $130 a cord here for cut split delivered locust/cherry.
But I may be in the market for a bulk order to split with my pops this year

I'm guessing 8 cords give or take 1/2 cord.

The mix is pretty varied between the cherry beech hard maple ash and a few locust and hemlock. No oak at all this time per my request, I don't have the wood supply to wait for oak to season.
So 130 x 8... figure all the work just to save 350 bucks or so. It's probably 45-50 hours of cutting and splitting

I'm guessing 8 cords give or take 1/2 cord.

The mix is pretty varied between the cherry beech hard maple ash and a few locust and hemlock. No oak at all this time per my request, I don't have the wood supply to wait for oak to season.
So 130 x 8... figure all the work just to save 350 bucks or so. It's probably 45-50 hours of cutting and splitting
Yeah it sure would be a lot of work to come into 8 cords at once. Sounds like I'll keep scrounging and buy a cord here and there. Thanks for the information

I see it as more of a hobby, who don't lIke running a chainsaw. I use a log splitter though, I split 2 cords by hand and decided a splitter would save my back. Little 5 ton electric and it hasn't even stressed at any thing even the 18-20 inch beech was like butter. Totally impressed me.
I will say I turned up the hydrolic adjustment up to way beyond it should be, but it's doing great with it jacked up. I bought the 3 year warranty just incase I destroyed it though

Status
Not open for further replies.