High Flow Air couplers for the Workshop - good improvement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
I am always trying to improve my workshop so I have been looking at the new high flow air fittings but was a little disappointed about getting special ones of the internet and most were cheap aluminum and expensive. Then I saw a nice video of the new 3/8” Harbor Freight ones that just came out that are stronger and cheaper.
Bingo, I got some to try
The are higher flow, very strong and cheap and easy to get! LOL
HF 3/8” VS Milton high flow - the purple ones.
https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=HF+3%2F8”+VS+Milton+high+flow+-+the+purple+ones.
For Only $8.99 a set these Milton High Flow are compatible with:
T Style - Campbell/Hausfeld
H Style - Milton
G Type - AMFLO
G Type - CAMEL
T Style - TRUFLATE
Do you have any high flow air couplers?
Are they worth it?
Also got the professional air pipe sealant for industrial use that is a special formula for air compressor fittings- Loctite 567 !!

See - More power vid below.

99FC722B-9E33-4DC8-B600-0D0764FF0B29.png 785523CB-1E1B-4EF3-9131-A6B7C3ABC4E2.jpeg C28FF70E-82CF-4BC8-B6D5-60B4E584805B.jpeg 66A9BB2F-0EEC-4DD5-95D8-1C332BCC773B.jpeg

Last edited:
its really not the tool end that is the restriction its the brass end that is the restriction.. Untill you upsize that it will alway s be restricted..

I replaced many of my old HF couplers with Milton V type. Even with my small 5cfm compressor I see a big difference.

BTW the purple anodized aluminium Miltons have a reputation for being delicate. I used the all brass version.

These look really nice: https://stedlin.com/stedlin-couplers/

quiet and easy to connect under pressure. The inventor & manufacturer has posted results of a lot of comparison tests on another forum.

Unplugging a 100' hose with the Miltons makes a very loud noise. Don't do it next to your ear. If I'd known about the Stedlins I'd have tried those rather than the Miltons.

Hello
Yes I replaced both the brass end and the tool end and Whoa! Wow!
Before the change, the air tools ⚒️ could not Cut the Mustard 🏺 Now they are Screeching & Honking!!

Hello

H = 67 scfm from Harbor Freight
P = 68 scfm from Milton Ind
V = 74 scfm from Milton Ind (Not compatible)
I probably won't notice any difference between those H or P vs V
Just learned the Home Depot Husky I/M industrial 3/8” fittings and the Milton P style couplers are also the same style!
:)

This seems to be a good way to go!!

Home Depot 3/8” automotiveI/M style
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5...ck-Connector-Kit-HDA20700AV/100079135#overlay

Milton P style - SCFM = 68
Milton (S-1806) 3/8" MNPT P Style Coupler S-1806 from MILTON - Acme Tools

I just figured out how to change the triple coupler setup in the shop to Hi Flow! Harbor Freight has no triple hi flow and I did not need 3 taps so I went to F W Webb yesterday and they put together a dual coupler setup with a 1/2" brass T fitting and had all the other brass parts except the Hi Flow couplers!
Now I can see how much better the blasting cabinet will work!
Also picked up Permatex for the pipe sealing. I like the consistency and brush applicator plus it is easily available at Autozone.

D5C6EA73-F3AD-4EE8-9EBA-3A63CCBB0332.jpeg 3526CA7B-ADC6-4BD2-B591-3FFD0251F76B.jpeg 2031CC2B-8643-4249-9F8F-AD05D1CC597E.jpeg C3EC1612-2530-4B9D-A71B-74E637642553.png

The job is not done till it works! :-(
After letting it set overnight the paste was stronger so I fired up the compressor and turned the valve on to let the air flow into the new brass pipes. Then I heard pop pop and hissssss !! :-(
At least 2-3 air leaks! Oh No! So I pulled out all the new brass pipes and made an important observation! I do not think the paste is at fault here so there are two things to consider here.
1. The air fittings are normally NPT thread but the brass fittings are pipe thread. The NPT has a slightly steeper taper. My Quincy installer used other brass pipes and valves quite successfully so they can be used.
2. When I disassembled the pipes I found do to the slight taper that most of the paste was pushed out of the threads!
Light 💡 bulb went on!
When Teflon tape is used and wound in the right direction so screwing the pipes together does not unwind the tape, the tape does not push out of the threads as easily as the paste!
Now I have used paste on the boiler fittings when I built the boiler but you are talking only 20 PSI water pressure in the boiler and the zones. We are talking 175 PSI here!!
Therefore, I wound every new fitting 4-5 wraps with Teflon Tape and put them all back together tight. Then fired up the compressor and turned on the valve and Bingo it worked!
Then I finally tested the blasting cabinet and yes a definite improvement. :)
See Teflon tape redo below!

D3BD63BF-DE1A-4B5E-850D-E631F3F8BCAC.jpeg

Last edited: