HiTemp silicone outside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscarl

Sep 27, 2013
Poughquag,NY
I am getting down the nitty gritty on my install. I am going to silicone and tape the vent pipe joints that are inside of the house, but should I bother doing the it to any pipe joints outside? It's pretty cold outside and silicone and cold weather are not fans of one another.

Don't want the cold to have any way in. I don't remember the usable limits of silicone. Can use foil tape on the pipe to thimble. Makes it real easy if have to adjust later.

Don't want the cold to have any way in. I don't remember the usable limits of silicone. Can use foil tape on the pipe to thimble. Makes it real easy if have to adjust later.
I thought that all interior joints needed sili and tape

True. You get a wind against the thimble joint around that pipe and that cold will come in, believe me, I am fighting a final install right now. Not a safety issue, its an issue of keeping old man winters $&* out.

Oh, and one more thing. I have enough vent to go with either a 3 or 4 foot rise. Any thoughts

I would go with the rise, it will help from getting smoke in your house if the electric fails + if you get 4' of snow

My stoves with some rise are happier stoves. Seems less smoke on startup and a bit faster.

I would go with the rise, it will help from getting smoke in your house if the electric fails + if you get 4' of snow
This is true. We have no rise on our horizontal pipe and I always worry that the power will go out while we are burning. Been meaning to add a section to go up.

A vertical rise would add a sort of drafting effect to clear out the smoke in the pipe during lose of electric (exhaust fan).

4' of rise is better than 3' if you lose power. Don't waste that extra foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.