Ho do you sweep the chimney on a Jotul F500?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edrrt

Nov 19, 2019
Sonoma
I have a Jotul F500 and I don’t see any way to access the chimney. My plan was to just sweep it from above. My old stove had a little hatch that you could open and then scoop out everything that came down.

There’s a heat shield on the back of the stove, if I take that office there a hatchback there?

The manual has no instructions about this.

Normally, you can see the flu, but the stoves have all these catalytic converters and everything in the way and so I can’t see the chimney from the inside.

A slip connector on the last segment of stove pipe may be the easiest. Otherwise I think one has to lift the gasketed lid off.

IMG_0430.jpeg

So the easiest thing to do is take the screws out and telescope it up and then pull the stove out of the way?

The instruction manual made mention of removing that oval on the top, but I don’t know if that gives you access to like a little area could stick a vacuum in to collect all of the creosote as you brush it out?

It also seemed like it was alluding to something on the back of the stove but again the manual is terrible in this regard.

Pull the screw on the telescopic section. Slide the lower section up. Slide a small trash bag under the pipe and use painters trim tape to hold the bag up on the pipe. Sweep top down as you mentioned above. Easy peasy. Helps to have a helper watching to make sure you dont push through your bag!

Better yet, if you can slide the pipe up high enough to get an ice cream bucket or similar under it bonus.

When finished with the pipe you can shop vac down in the stove collar.

Not sure if these suggestions fit your needs but worth a mention. Good luck.

Reactions: Edrrt and Todd
We have an F500 V2. We take off the vent pipe and clean from the bottom. No way we are getting on our roof. We attach a garbage bag to the bottom of the pipe and leave some room to get the sooteater into the bag and up the chimney. The vent piping we removed gets taken outside to be cleaned. Before putting the pipe back on we vacuum out the area of the stove collar.

Pull the screw on the telescopic section. Slide the lower section up. Slide a small trash bag under the pipe and use painters trim tape to hold the bag up on the pipe. Sweep top down as you mentioned above. Easy peasy. Helps to have a helper watching to make sure you dont push through your bag!

Better yet, if you can slide the pipe up high enough to get an ice cream bucket or similar under it bonus.

When finished with the pipe you can shop vac down in the stove collar.

Not sure if these suggestions fit your needs but worth a mention. Good luck.

This is a great idea. Thank you. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some easier way I was missing.