Home brewers come hither to me !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

I have been making beer for a couple of years now the traditional way and love it, BUT ( here it comes ) I tried a no boil Whaaatttt you say :exclaim:
My first beer was MR. BEER actually and that mode onto learning more about beer then upsizing and eventually 5 gallon traditional brewing with secondary fermentation which is better than MR. BEER I think. I decided to do a Coopers kit a while back here is the recipe for ya it is dang good.
1 can Coopers Stout
750g Light Malt Extract
750g Dark Malt Extract
250g Dry Corn Syrup
250g Raw Sugar
150g Golden Syrup in the USA I can only get (Karo Syrup)
50g Roasted Barley
175g Cooking Chocolate
20g Instant Coffee
5g Salt
18g Willamette Hop Pellets (Boiling)
2 Pkt Dry Ale Yeast.

I fermented 2 weeks and secondaried for 2 months.
aged for 6 months.

It is absolutely the best stout I have ever made hands down steeped or no boil.
Here is my question do any of you have any no boil modified or non modified favorites and what are they?

Brew on
Pete

PS
I am currently drinking my home made english bitter mmmmmmmmmmmmm ;-)

Well with between 4.5 and 5 kg of fermentables it should have a bit of a kick.

Sort of like my holiday ginger ale, plenty of stuff for the yeast to convert.

I have made beer for about 5 years. Always partial extract/grain. Always boiled. I was looking at a mr. beer in BJ's recently while shopping and almost bought one. There is no better beer than the one you make yourself. Although, I prefer a lower ABV than 10.1% your recipe sounds like a good flavor profile. I once found a recipe for chocolate peanut butter stout and always wished I had made it. Basically I prefer a good IPA.

Tell us more about this ginger ale.

I too want to hear about this ginger ale!!
I've never tried a no boil before - is there a somewhat different flavor profile, or do they turn out the same as their boiled counterparts?

It all depends on how you make them I am discovering I also did a blonde no boil and it turned out great compared to my steeped brew. One thing is for sure if you mess with it like I did you can't even tell its no boil they taste like craft beer. I want to hear of this ginger ale as well smokey tell us more please!

Pete

Holiday ginger ale.

6 gallons pure no preservative orange juice.
3 pounds brown sugar.
1 Organic pineapple.
1 Large ginger root.

Heat 5 gallons of the orange juice to at least 165 degrees after adding the 3 pounds of brown sugar, and one well chopped up peeled ginger root tied in a muslin bag, along with the pineapple after pealing it and cutting it into sizable chunks.

Run through your wort chiller into your fermenter.

Pitch a good dry yeast.

Insert your air lock and start the waiting game.

The remaining gallon of orange juice is added after fermentation ends.

Rack into your bottling bucket leaving the pineapple and ginger bag behind.

Bottle.

Let it bottle condition for at least a couple of months.

Warning you might want to bottle this in plastic bottles as it is going to have very strong carbonation from the addition of the unfermented orange juice just prior to bottling.

It is different and actually can be cut using a soda like sprite or ginger ale with ice when served.

This makes a 6 plus gallon batch.

I'd suggest you do a third or half batch to find out if you like it.

This is basically a fermented version of what is known as banana slush (without the banana) a base for a punch in which you float various sherbets.

Was the extract hopped, or did you just toss the hops in cold? Or something else?

One of the functions of boiling is to agitate the hops and make them give up their flavors. Not to say you can't make beer without boiling, but it will be different. I never did it that way but I've always been curious.

An advantage to no-boil is it eliminates the cooling stage, which is perhaps the part of the process that is most difficult.

I did a number of extract brews before moving up to mashing. I had a couple friends and we used to get together and brew, which was really fun. Especially because we all had different approaches to various aspects of the brewing. "Dude, what are you doing?" and so forth. Eventually I developed celiac disease, so no more beer. My wife and I used up all the leftover grain in one last batch. It was about 50 pounds of grain mashed in about 15 gallons of water. We did three separate brews of different strength -- a barelywine, an ale, and a stout. I keep thinking of making sorgum beer. You can buy sorgum syrup at roadside stands.

pyper said:
Was the extract hopped, or did you just toss the hops in cold? Or something else?

One of the functions of boiling is to agitate the hops and make them give up their flavors. Not to say you can't make beer without boiling, but it will be different. I never did it that way but I've always been curious.

An advantage to no-boil is it eliminates the cooling stage, which is perhaps the part of the process that is most difficult.

I did a number of extract brews before moving up to mashing. I had a couple friends and we used to get together and brew, which was really fun. Especially because we all had different approaches to various aspects of the brewing. "Dude, what are you doing?" and so forth. Eventually I developed celiac disease, so no more beer. My wife and I used up all the leftover grain in one last batch. It was about 50 pounds of grain mashed in about 15 gallons of water. We did three separate brews of different strength -- a barelywine, an ale, and a stout. I keep thinking of making sorgum beer. You can buy sorgum syrup at roadside stands.

In most no boil they are prehopped malt but you can add hops as well. No boil is a little misleading you still bring the water to a boil and then add malt after you shut off the boil. I actually boiled it for 20 minutes on low boil with my extras added in just to bring out the favors and it didn't hurt at all.

Pete

Boiling accomplishes two things. First is sterilization, which is why people didn't get sick drinking beer in European cities with nasty water supplies, before anybody knew anything about sanitation.
Second is alpha acid utilization. Alpha acids provide bitterness to offset the sweetness of the malt. Hops boiled for, say, 60 minutes, provide bitterness but very little flavor or aroma. Hops boiled for 20-30 minutes provide some bitterness and flavor. Hops boiled for a couple of minutes or just tossed in when the heat is turned off provide lots of aroma, some hop flavor, but almost no bitterness. Many, many variations in hop additions, but that is the basics.
The two beers that I brewed the most, an APA and IPA, were nearly identical except for the hops. There was quite a bit more base malt in the IPA to get the abv up and allow for some pretty extreme hopping, but I would use the same base and crystal malts, same yeast , sometimes the same hop varieties and come up with two vastly different brews.

jeff_t said:
Boiling accomplishes two things. First is sterilization, which is why people didn't get sick drinking beer in European cities with nasty water supplies, before anybody knew anything about sanitation.

I don't think that's exactly right. Boiling does accomplish sanitizing, but not sterilization. To sterilize you need to achieve 240F, which you can only do under pressure. Sanitizing is important, but only inasmuch as it lets the yeast get off to a good start.

No known human pathogens can survive in beer. It's a combination of the pH (acid due to hops) and the alcohol.

pyper said:
jeff_t said:

I don't think that's exactly right. Boiling does accomplish sanitizing, but not sterilization. To sterilize you need to achieve 240F, which you can only do under pressure. Sanitizing is important, but only inasmuch as it lets the yeast get off to a good start.

No known human pathogens can survive in beer. It's a combination of the pH (acid due to hops) and the alcohol.

Not exactly right, but we were always told beer was the beverage of choice because the water wasn't safe. The beer didn't make them sick because it was beer, but because it was boiled.
Boiling makes a SANITARY, then, environment for the yeast to do its thing. Contaminants can enter farther along in the process due to poor sanitation practices. Whether they will kill you or not I don't know, but the beer will taste yucky.

jeff_t said:
pyper said:
jeff_t said:

Not exactly right, but we were always told beer was the beverage of choice because the water wasn't safe. The beer didn't make them sick because it was beer, but because it was boiled.
Boiling makes a SANITARY, then, environment for the yeast to do its thing. Contaminants can enter farther along in the process due to poor sanitation practices. Whether they will kill you or not I don't know, but the beer will taste yucky.

Might taste bad, but my understanding is that if it is beer it cannot make you sick, boiled or not. Well, it can make you sick if you drink too much, but that's for the alcohol, not for any bugs living in it. ;-)

Ha. Never made a batch I didn't like, so I must've been doing it right. And except for hefes and wits, it all got better with age.
Also never had a hangover. Apparently there is a scientific basis for this? Brewer's yeast has a very high concentration of B-complex vitamins, which helps in stimulating blood flow, or something like that. Vegemite, anybody? Filtered commercial beers don't have the residual yeast cells still in suspension. At least I read something like that somewhere.

I made one batch I really didn't like. It tasted like wet bandaids. Really wierd, because it was the middle of three batches on the same yeast.

I kept a few bottles of it though, and after around a year I took it to a homebrew club meeting to demonstrate "wrong." The nasty taste had gone away and everyone thought it was great.

Doh!

pyper said:
I made one batch I really didn't like. It tasted like wet bandaids. Really wierd, because it was the middle of three batches on the same yeast.

I kept a few bottles of it though, and after around a year I took it to a homebrew club meeting to demonstrate "wrong." The nasty taste had gone away and everyone thought it was great.

Doh!

What is this insanity of wet bandaids eeww no wonder it wasn't good DONT PUT Band-Aids IN THE WORT MAN those are for cuts not beer!!!!!! :lol:

Just kidding I think by themselves they are acceptable and better than cheap beer but with some help they are world class.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.