Home Herald needing parts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HillStreetChickens

Sep 29, 2022
MA
Good morning all. Just moved in to new (old) home and having a stainless liner installed, which will tie into antique stove.

Stove itself is in fantastic shape but there are a pair of plates (internal baffles?) needing repair or replacement. One hangs above the side door off a pin detent cast into the stove, mine has a broken pin on the plate. The other is a baseplate that is cracked cracked in half. Pics for reference.

Question I have is what are you guys doing to replace these old baffles? I can weld so fabricating a firebrick cradle is an option. I have access to steel plate and channel so maybe weld something together?

What do you guys think?

47A87C6F-D2EC-444C-90BB-940A96E7127E.jpeg352CB330-C0E1-438E-8245-5CF7F5AE19F3.jpeg7EB70148-3E0D-43BA-BCCA-99E267449B8E.jpeg

And waste the charm of a 1912 parlor stove? No sir!
What are your objectives with the stove? Are you looking for a conversation piece that you can have an occasional fire for ambiance. Or are you looking to heat with it?

But to answer your questions I have several approaches when I need to replace parts like this. The easiest is make new ones from plate steel but they often warp. Sometimes you can cast them from refractory cement. Other times I have had parts recast out of iron.

Reactions: HillStreetChickens
how thick of a plate are we talking about? Assuming mild steel flat stock right? Ever use angle stitch welded into a sheet (like corrugated sheet made with 1/4 angle)?

What are your objectives with the stove? Are you looking for a conversation piece that you can have an occasional fire for ambiance. Or are you looking to heat with it?
Backup heat to an aging pellet stove. We just moved and this is going to be our first winter at the property.

how thick of a plate are we talking about? Assuming mild steel flat stock right? Ever use angle stitch welded into a sheet (like corrugated sheet made with 1/4 angle)?
It depends on the application but usually 1/4"

Backup heat to an aging pellet stove. We just moved and this is going to be our first winter at the property.
This is really not going to be an efficient or very effective heater. Did you completely tear it down and recement all the joints?

This is really not going to be an efficient or very effective heater. Did you completely tear it down and recement all the joints?
Stripped and cleaned down to the firebox to check for cracks/rot. There’s no existing cement on any of the mating surfaces and internally, there’s just a damper plate and the two CI baffles I mentioned before. It’s a stove from 1912 so what else should I be looking for?

Stripped and cleaned down to the firebox to check for cracks/rot. There’s no existing cement on any of the mating surfaces and internally, there’s just a damper plate and the two CI baffles I mentioned before. It’s a stove from 1912 so what else should I be looking for?
The stove most likely needs completely taken apart and the joints recemented. Are you planning on burning wood or coal? Is it a wood stove or coal stove?

Note that the stove requires 36" in all directions to combustibles. This can be reduced at the sides and back with NFPA 211 wall shielding. The hearth must meet NFPA 211 spec too. Also, check with your insurance company to see what they require. Many will not insure a house with a stove lacking UL testing.