Home Star Energy Retrofit Act(H.R.5019)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I just recieved an e-mail from Alliance for Green Heat, stating that the bill passed the House today. If approved by the Senate, it could be viable as early as the Fall. In it, a $1000 rebate, if you swap out an older stove for a new one meeting their emmisions criteria. Can this be combined with the current $1500 energy rebate? Anybody following this? I know very litle about it.

I don't find anything in the bill that gives a rebate for the actual materials, appliances or whatever. Just for the labor installing them. And yes there is a section regarding not duplicating reimbursements from other programs.

Hey BB, go to www.forgreenheat.org/incentives/homestarpage.html , if you have time, see if you can make sense out of what they're showing in the proposed language. To me, if the "new system" puts out less than 4.5 grams, and heats a min. 75% of required heating for the structure, it would qualify. The old stove has to be verified to be no longer in position and operational. There's also something about the 4.5 g. level being dropped to 3gram/hr., but i don't know if that's just a proposal.

I could be missing something but all I see is rebates for contractor labor to install the qualified improvements. Which wouldn't be bad if you could buy the stove under the current bill and use the new bill for the labor. But the new bill at the earliest won't be in place until the fall and the current bill expires at year end.

If I missed something I am sure somebody will point it out.

I'm sure you're right. I'll read up on it tonight when I have more time. Thanks for checking.

This thing is gonna be a pip. They allow for installation of some things without a contractor but not much. I can see where it is possible to read it to cover both a stove and labor but barely.

Status
Not open for further replies.