homelite 16" chain saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman23

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2008
western southern tier of NYS
My 16" homelite chain saw will not run, it is not getting spark. Any ideas on what to check?. We are here in south western NYS and we are in a state of emergency due to the bad storms here and i still have 4 trees to cut that were snapped in 2 and are across my driveway. I have a backup but no backup for the backup and the backup is only a 12". Help. Man i am tired....

woodsman23 said:
My 16" homelite chain saw will not run, it is not getting spark. Any ideas on what to check?. We are here in south western NYS and we are in a state of emergency due to the bad storms here and i still have 4 trees to cut that were snapped in 2 and are across my driveway. I have a backup but no backup for the backup and the backup is only a 12". Help. Man i am tired....

1) Find the nearest dumpster and sh_tcan that Homelite

2) Drive to the closest Stihl dealer

3) Walk out with an MS 290.

Old Homelites were pretty good saws in their day. The newer ones are consumer-grade clunkers of doutful quality, but presumably you aren't in a good place to replace the saw at the moment (I would imagine the local dealers are probably sold out...) I would say to try a new plug first off, and if that doesn't work, check the wiring going to and from any ignition modules, coils, etc. Pay special attention to the kill switch, make sure that when switched to "ON" it really is... (You did check the switch before posting I hope :red: )

Since I don't know the saw, I can't get more specific than that, however unless it's something simple like a bad wire or switch, electronic modules on newer saws are pretty much non-repairable items. If it is a module, you may find the repair is more than the saw is worth...

Good Luck,

Gooserider

Thanks guys i will check it out. The homelite was a gift from my younger son so i am kinda stuck with it. It has profpormed well for 3 years but it does not get much use at all maybe 3xs a year at best. With today being the exception with all the storm damage.

Replace spark plug with a known good one?

After the storm, get a good saw. You won't regret it. My old homelite sits on the shelf and hasn't run in a year. i couldn't be happier either.

Status
Not open for further replies.