Homestead Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpine

Hearth Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
NY Capital District
I searched but didn't find an answer so here is my question. I recently cleaned my 27 foot insulated liner after my first year of burning. The residue wasn't more than 1/4" thick at the top and the cap was clean. I got about 1.5 gallons of a dry, brown, fluffy powder out of the bottom of the "T" at the back of my stove. I'll have drier wood this year so I expect less residue next fall when I clean. I'm not sure what is the easiest way to clean the short horizontal section of pipe leading to my "T". I could remove the 2 screws from the oval to round connector and pull the (very heavy) stove away from the T or I could try to remove the baffle/tube assembly and clean the pipe from inside the stove. Each method has it's downside so I am looking for suggestions from experienced people.
Thanks!

I move my homestead out by using two boards as runners under the legs. It is heavy but 1 side at a time works for me. You can then clean out from the T to the top of the baffle easily. Get a buddy to help if need be.

Here is an idea... they sell plastic shells to put under the legs of heavy furniture. These make it easy to slide the item instead of lifting it. My ancient/ugly/pita Mother-in-law uses them and they work great. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.