Honda or Yamaha

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
Starting to "shop" marketplace for an upgrade atv for my son and I. Set on an older model (90s) 4x4 in the 300-350cc range. I am not new to atvs (have owned polaris, honda, yamaha and kawasaki). Staying in the 90s models because of the old reliability with them. My 2006 sportsman and 2006 foreman spent to much time being fixed. I know the Honda 300 4x4s are very popular and there are plenty of options on marketplace. Questioning the full time 4x4 and how hard it makes them to steer. My wife and 11 year old son will be driving it. He has zero issues with his 1988 trx125, but we will be selling that to buy bigger and drives a 250 2x4 just fine. There are a few yamaha wolverines for a slightly better price, in the same size range and can run in 2x4 also. Only other models I would be interested in are a kawasaki 300 4x4 but there are few of them or a king quad 300 with select 4x4.
Just looking for some input on these models. I know there are a few of them out there and this is definitely a forum where plenty of people own/use atvs. I don't want to be working on it all the time, but they should be simple enough and cheap enough to fix. I also have a guy that likes working on older models like this for cheap if it's something I can't handle. It will do a lot of joy riding and haul a little firewood. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't hesitate to look at Suzuki either.

Assuming parts are equally available, how the previous owner treated the ATV wil have a much larger effect on the work required to maintain the machine than Honda vs Yamaha

I wouldn't hesitate to look at Suzuki either.

Assuming parts are equally available, how the previous owner treated the ATV wil have a much larger effect on the work required to maintain the machine than Honda vs Yamaha

This is the most critical factor.

I wouldn't shy away from an older Polaris Magnum 330 as well, great machines if not beat to death. I always rode Polaris Sportsman's, they were pretty good to me but I chose them more for ride comfort than dead reliability (used to ride hard and a lot of miles).

As stated above, if taken care of any of the simpler machines should be very reliable.

I plan on being very selective of the one I buy. Would love to find an "old guys" machine. I didn't dislike my polaris but I want drive shaft and the polaris models all seem a little bigger. With the son and wife driving it, I want it to be smaller. A buddy has a 2000s suzuki and had clutch issues with it. I know they all have the random issues, but I guess his complaining turned me off of suzuki. I still wouldn't shy away from a king quad though. They are ugly, but tanks.

I plan on being very selective of the one I buy. Would love to find an "old guys" machine. I didn't dislike my polaris but I want drive shaft and the polaris models all seem a little bigger. With the son and wife driving it, I want it to be smaller. A buddy has a 2000s suzuki and had clutch issues with it. I know they all have the random issues, but I guess his complaining turned me off of suzuki. I still wouldn't shy away from a king quad though. They are ugly, but tanks.
One thing I will say about the newer king quads is how horrible they feel to ride (at least on the 2009ish approximately 700cc machine I spent some time on). I could not believe how it constantly felt like it wanted to flop over (and I did lay it on its side once). I have heard from others that this isn't exclusive to just my experience.

Now how this translates to an older smaller machine, unsure.

I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the 4x4's of that era in good shape. I don't really remember seeing any of them being overly better/worse than others.

I have a trx 700xx has some flaws but unmatched! they are all good brands, you have to see what you find and the state of the atv, don't focus on problems, everyone has or can have

One thing I will say about the newer king quads is how horrible they feel to ride (at least on the 2009ish approximately 700cc machine I spent some time on)

Interesting. I've got over 10K on my Outlander 1000 and have done MANY 250-300 mile days on it. I just don't get sore riding that machine.

Interesting. I've got over 10K on my Outlander 1000 and have done MANY 250-300 mile days on it. I just don't get sore riding that machine.
At the time I had a Sportsman 700 of similar era and was shocked how bad I wanted to be back on the Sportsman.

250-300 is a lot of riding. We probably pushed at absolute max 125 in the mountains and that was pushing it.

I have since switched to a Turbo RZR but don’t use it much anymore.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
At the time I had a Sportsman 700 of similar era and was shocked how bad I wanted to be back on the Sportsman.

250-300 is a lot of riding. We probably pushed at absolute max 125 in the mountains and that was pushing it.

I have since switched to a Turbo RZR but don’t use it much anymore.

Riding in the mountains is a different animal. Impossible to do lots of miles in a day, at least where we rode in CO a couple years ago.

I'm not a SxS guy, Give me a seat to straddle and bars to hang on to any day.

Reactions: Shank
Riding in the mountains is a different animal. Impossible to do lots of miles in a day, at least where we rode in CO a couple years ago.

I'm not a SxS guy, Give me a seat to straddle and bars to hang on to any day.
Completely understand. Spent some time in Colorado last summer too, way different that the eastern/middle part of the country.

I miss riding atv’s but it is far easier for the wife to have an enjoyable ride in the passenger seat….

Starting to "shop" marketplace for an upgrade atv for my son and I. Set on an older model (90s) 4x4 in the 300-350cc range. I am not new to atvs (have owned polaris, honda, yamaha and kawasaki). Staying in the 90s models because of the old reliability with them. My 2006 sportsman and 2006 foreman spent to much time being fixed. I know the Honda 300 4x4s are very popular and there are plenty of options on marketplace. Questioning the full time 4x4 and how hard it makes them to steer. My wife and 11 year old son will be driving it. He has zero issues with his 1988 trx125, but we will be selling that to buy bigger and drives a 250 2x4 just fine. There are a few yamaha wolverines for a slightly better price, in the same size range and can run in 2x4 also. Only other models I would be interested in are a kawasaki 300 4x4 but there are few of them or a king quad 300 with select 4x4.
Just looking for some input on these models. I know there are a few of them out there and this is definitely a forum where plenty of people own/use atvs. I don't want to be working on it all the time, but they should be simple enough and cheap enough to fix. I also have a guy that likes working on older models like this for cheap if it's something I can't handle. It will do a lot of joy riding and haul a little firewood. Thanks in advance.
Those 300's were tough ole buggers! The full time 4x4 does add a little effort to the steering, more so at real low speeds.
Back in the day someone (Warn?) made a part time 4x4 kit for those...only ever installed one, they replace the front driveshaft with one that could be disengaged with a large push/pull button (IIRC)
Any idea what you might want for the TRX125? Thinking about upsizing my sons quad...its just a chineez (junk!) 50 and he is too big for it now...and I'm tired of fixing the POS! No more chineez quads for me! (it was super cheap though, just a real frustrating time suck)

Here is one of those kits...not sure if this is actually still for sale or what...a pic of it though...might be able to find one NOS somewhere else

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
It's a good thing Yen Chin motors doesn't make a F250 clone....or someone would have it in their driveway! :p ::-)
iu

In my experience the honda full time 4x4's are a brute in tight quarters. They seem to take twice the radius to turn around. I just upgraded from a flawless 2007 honda foreman to a 2012 500 foreman with fuel injection and power steering. I'm not to fussy on the gearing of the 2012. I use my atv for wood cutting and hauling primarily and 2nd gear was always my favorite when loaded up with the 2007. The 2012 2nd gear is definitely different and lugs the motor much more at low speed in comparison. I miss the 07 2nd gear. But what I upgraded for was the power steering. My assumption was correct and power steering over rough terrain at low speed is a game changer. I would look for a foot shift if your concerned about reliability. The ES models sound like trouble sometimes/usually. (shift angle sensor) If I started looking again I would want something that had the same gearing as the 07 AND power steering in a foot shift model for my needs. The Suzuki Eigers are well known as a reliable bikes in the early to mid 2000's . No plows and not turned into a submarine are keys for me when I was looking. The 500 series of engines in the Hondas are great work machines in my opinion. Like a small nimble tractor in the woods. Not really made for speed, and I'm still not sure why people want to ride them under water like you see many do???

Reactions: sloeffle and Shank
Those 300's were tough ole buggers! The full time 4x4 does add a little effort to the steering, more so at real low speeds.
Back in the day someone (Warn?) made a part time 4x4 kit for those...only ever installed one, they replace the front driveshaft with one that could be disengaged with a large push/pull button (IIRC)
Any idea what you might want for the TRX125? Thinking about upsizing my sons quad...its just a chineez (junk!) 50 and he is too big for it now...and I'm tired of fixing the POS! No more chineez quads for me! (it was super cheap though, just a real frustrating time suck)
I probably won't sell until this summer. Don't yet have all the money to buy a new "toy" as the wife calls them. I'll probably list it for $1300. Since I bought it last year, I put good used tires on the rear so all 4 are in good shape and hold air. New seat cover, fuel lines and battery. Drum brakes have been polished and adjusted. It starts right up and runs like a top. Impressive little machine actually. I'd prefer to keep it but need the money to use on a bigger one with more uses.

More every day! ;lol

A buddy a handful of years ago was looking at buying two Tao Tao ATV's for his two young boys. I told him not to do it. Well, he did it anyway and I'm not sure they even made it a year without issues. A couple years later they were nowhere to be found. No idea what he did with them. Probably had to pay to get rid of them. ;lol

Back in the day we used the Kawasaki 300's out here on the farm. One tough ATV. Usually just a battery and brushes in the starter. I don't know if you could find a descent one any more. They have all been used up around here. There are a few old guys around here that are still using the Honda foreman's out on the farms. Most folks have went to side by sides. It would be tough to find a good used ATV around here. The real good ones on a old guys farm sales bring big money.

A buddy a handful of years ago was looking at buying two Tao Tao ATV's for his two young boys. I told him not to do it. Well, he did it anyway and I'm not sure they even made it a year without issues. A couple years later they were nowhere to be found. No idea what he did with them. Probably had to pay to get rid of them. ;lol
Some people get lucky and get a year or two out of them, then the trouble starts...all too often its problems right from the get-go though.
I bought this thing for very little money knowing it needed the brake fixed (rear only) and that they don't have a great reputation, but didn't want to spend the money for a name brand model due to the stupid prices they bring for even half decent used ones...and didn't want to make any more of a financial commitment until I knew my son was going to be interested in it for more than a few weeks....and I knew he'd outgrow it quickly too...I just wasn't expecting it to be as big of a PITA as it's been!

I have a 1995 Bayou 220 sitting in my parents barn. Got it I believe in '98 or '99 as a christmas gift when I was 13 or 14. It spent years just getting the crap beat out of it doing all kinds of things on the farm or for fun. I would love to have the 300 4x4 model but they just seem harder to find on marketplace. My plan is to get the old 220 out and do a "restoration" project with my son over a year or so to learn some skills, but not until we have the larger atv.
The information about the difficulty steering is helpful and what I am looking for. Please, keep it coming. I also enjoy just hearing people talk about what they have owned and why.

Reactions: sloeffle
The information about the difficulty steering is helpful and what I am looking for
I personally only find the steering "heavy" when at low speeds...like first gear.