Hooking up a wood stove in my home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNFisherman

Jan 3, 2012
Minnesota
I have just rented a home that has a chimney. I looks like at some point it had a wood stove since there is a hole for the pipe that has a plug in it. The problem I have is the gas water heater also exhausts out the chimney. Is it ok to reinstall a stove with the water heater and wood stove venting out the chimney?

MNFisherman said:
I have just rented a home that has a chimney. I looks like at some point it had a wood stove since there is a hole for the pipe that has a plug in it. The problem I have is the gas water heater also exhausts out the chimney. Is it ok to reinstall a stove with the water heater and wood stove venting out the chimney?

NO.

MNFisherman said:

Does the chimney have multiple flues? A flue is a lined path through the chimney from the appliance to the top. Each appliance MUST have its own flue. A chimney may have multiple flues. Can you see the top, how many clay or steel pipes come out the top?

KaptJaq

It has only one flue. So the only way to use a wood stove wood be to redirect the vent from the water heater and plug the hole? Kind of a waste to use the chimney for such a small purpose since the furnace is vented out the side of the home. Can you run a stove within the area of a gas furnace and water heater?

@ MNFisherman... I'm from Meenashnowta myself... do you have a furnace in your living room?

and like others said you can mix combustion fuel appliances into one flue

Did you mean can't?

I think there's a couple things.

-Would a landlord be ok with this plan to modify a rental?

-In theory, as someone else mentioned, you could direct the water heater up it own flue and the flue / pipe / liner for the wood gas separately. I don't know anything about restrictions on doing that.

You would have to install 2 seperate liners. Both would need to be stainless due to the heat of the solid fuel appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.