Hope for "downstate" NY'rs, LI, and NE PA,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TboneMan

Mar 20, 2008
Central NY
For those pellet heads in "downstate" New York (anyplace south of Albany IMO), Long Island, and Northeast Penn. It looks like you'll be getting manufacturer a bit closer to home.

http://www.pelletheat.com/core/newsItem/?news_id=25

While not much help for winter 09/10, at least there will be options in the future.

It is also good to see that in a climate of tight commercial credit (banks not wanting to take on risk), that such a transaction can occur. I guess that bodes well for the pellet industry. I woulds suspect too, that given the relative closeness to Atlantic shipping, NEWP will get heavily into the export market.

I sure hope this is good news for us downstate NY'ers. I drive past the Norbord plant on Rt 17 (soon to be I-86) often, and always wondered what type of wood product they made there, as I could see (and smell) the sawdust and chip piles. It's a great location.....easy access to highway and railroad goes right into the plant.

My only concern is that it doesn't become a plant that exports most of it's product out of the country. I'm going to send an email to them and ask.

EDIT: just shot an email off to NEWP, so if I get any response, I'll post it on the forum.

Been by Norboard a 100 times. I Believe they make OSB and maybe paper grade chips for another outlet by the looks of their Ops. Being close to boiler fuel markets and rail trans. I woodn't be surprised if they supplied power plants.
I've bought a BUTT TON of good used cheap equipment in that area! Whats up with that?

OK, just saw the email response from NEWP to my question about their new place in Deposit:

"Thank you for your note and concern. New England Wood Pellet is committed to development of a strong domestic US market for pellet fuel in residential, commercial and industrial heating and combined heat & power. We do not export any of our production and have no plans of doing so in the future. This policy extends to the future production of the Deposit NY facility, once it is built. We see strong market potential for the output from Deposit in southern NY, western CT, metro NYC and Long Island, NJ, and eastern PA.

At this time, we do not anticipate changing our policy of selling product only through authorized retailers.

Kind regards,

Charlie Niebling
Genl Mgr
New England Wood Pellet"

That's good news.

They'll just need to do some work to get 20K-30K households to buy their annual yield as their business plan also precludes them from selling to big box stores.

With a plant downstate, that should leave more pellets available for us "real" New Yorkers ;-).

Hopefully that will mean lower prices (for both areas).

TboneMan said:
......With a plant downstate, that should leave more pellets available for us "real" New Yorkers ;-). Hopefully that will mean lower prices (for both areas).

Yes, it should leave plenty of pellets for us "real NY'ers" down in Orange County.... ;-P

Seriously, though, I hope this will mean lower prices too. It may only mean that pellets won't become scarce like in the past in this area, and we can hope for lower prices. But, I'll believe that when I see it.

I was more concerned with them NOT exporting pellets. American made fuel should stay in the US.

macman said:
TboneMan said:
......With a plant downstate, that should leave more pellets available for us "real" New Yorkers ;-). Hopefully that will mean lower prices (for both areas).

Seriously, though, I hope this will mean lower prices too. It may only mean that pellets won't become scarce like in the past in this area, and we can hope for lower prices. But, I'll believe that when I see it.

I was more concerned with them NOT exporting pellets. American made fuel should stay in the US.

I also want supply to be good and prices lower. But if we can export American made fuel and earn a few dollars or a few euros, that's good. More manufacturing is good for all of us. But I'm getting a bit off topic here. :)

I wonder whether they will sell the product from the new plant under the "Warm Front" label or the "New England Wood Pellets" label? Maybe another label all together?

Status
Not open for further replies.