Hopper modification to improve pellet flow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tails1

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2016
Ajax, Ontario Canada
I am looking for some suggestions to a problem in regards to my pellet hopper. As part of the manufacturing process the inside of the hopper has been sprayed with something that looks like automotive undercoating. This has a texture that is preventing the pellets from sliding down to the bottom of the hopper properly causing the stove to starve for pellets and go out when there is still about half a bag left in there.

I was thinking about trying something like
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00D3G6IFE...lid=37TQII8ADKYDI&coliid=I1A6Q9Q65LII0E&psc=1
which is a teflon spray that supposedly dries. My biggest concern is using something that could be flammable or cause a fire risk.

Thanks,

I have heard of people using a scotch brite pad then rubbing the hopper with graphite powder to remedy this situation. I am sure I read that somewhere on this site. I was going to look it up but it was easier to relay the idea. I am sure there are past threads on this issue if you want to double check.

Heat rating on the teflon spray is 500F. Stove Bright paint is rated 1200F.

Sand it down fine emery cloth or crocus cloth .That gets rid of the pebble surface .