Horizontal venting only / Inspection problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kast

Sep 28, 2008
Stoughton M.A
I have a basic horizontal venting 18’’ away from the house with a Term cap, no 3-5 feet of recommended vertical that it is says in my manual (professionally done, if that’s what you want to call it). I have an inspection setup in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has had any issue getting passed with this type of setup. I know I have read of sparks being seen coming out of a setup like this, to me that sounds like a deal breaker! :)

My dealer recommended a horizontal install and sold me the stuff to do it. No problems so far. I have my vent pipe under a window so I bought an extra 24" of vent pipe to get it out from the wall... and window. It's well within our code requirements so I don't see a problem.

But I'm in Wiscinsin and you're in Mass... Big Brother has a LITTLE smaller presence here in fly-over country... at least for now!

The only drawback is your house will fill with smoke if you have a power failure. I plan on having a battery back-up this year.

i hear you on the smoke, i had to flip the switch on the main power to the house soon after i had the stove and didn't realize that the smoke would escape like that! so i bought a UPS one that will hopefully allow me to shutdown the system in time before that happens.

I don't have horizontal venting, but the code enforcer in my town
measured everything based on the requirements in the owner's manual.

He has a rep of being a b*llbuster, and even measured how far away
our cold air return vent was from the stove. The only thing he complained
about was we were running the stove before it was inspected, but we
passed the test.

did you have it running before he got there, or did he want to start it up himself?

I have had this type setup from day 1 and have no problems at all. When the power went out very little smoke came into the house. You will have no problem with this type of install as long as it was properly done.

kast said:
did you have it running before he got there, or did he want to start it up himself?

He never started it, just measured everything.

He complained that we were not supposed to run it before inspection, but we told him
we only ran it for a few hours the day it was installed to burn off the oils/cure paint.
He was not happy about it, grunted a couple of times and signed the permit.

edit: you should have no problem if your dealer went by the manual requirements

Good for you.... happy burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.