House Temp. Drop Overnight: Expectation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello All,
Installed 16 new windows, 5 new doors, and new siding/insulation last summer. Although the temp is more even throughout the top floor (last year, it would be 70 in living room and 66 in back bedrooms, this year within a degree or so) I'm not sure about the temp drops with no heat.

SO: from 9 last night to 5:30 this morning, the house dropped from 71 to 66. This was with no heat on and outside temps of 20*. We have a 2,500 square foot split (1,500 up, 1,000 down) in southern NH.

What do you think?

S

I think I'd kill for that. Its quite excellent.

Man, I wouldn't have to have overnight fires for that kind of drop, unless it got down to maybe 0-5 degs.
Nice upgrade in comfort level. The wood stacks should last 'ya quite a while longer.

Makes me look forward to getting mine done. How long does it take to get back up from 66 to 71?

I got up at 5:30 and re-started stove (couple coals, but not near enough). Living room (stove location) was at 67, back rooms 66. At 7/7:30, living room was back to 70 and back rooms 68-69.

S

thinkxingu said:
At 7/7:30, living room was back to 70 and back rooms 68-69.

Thanks for the motivation, that is awesome.

Windows and door replacements make a big difference for sure.
My next project is going to be siding and roof upgrades.
Tyvek on the underside of the roof underlayment and sunny sides of the house, R38 is what
we are shooting for on the roof. I am also going with the aluminum-backed foam insulation
to replace the black R2 rated sheathing from the 80s. You know, the stuff that disintegrates lol.

thats great! what was the outside temp?

My house drops about that much when it is 48F+ outside.... drops a lot more when it is 20F outside...

Interesting: last night it was 10* and house went from 68 to 63 from 9PM-5AM. Same 5* as in 20* weather. Of course, we had all the blinds and shades shut whereas with the first we didn't have any shut.

Nice to have the slow heat loss, BUT: it still takes the Homestead running at 500*+ to move the temps in the house up. I suppose that should be expected when running this size stove in a 1,500 sq.ft. section.

S

That is called getting your money's worth from the upgrades!

thinkxingu said:
Interesting: last night it was 10* and house went from 68 to 63 from 9PM-5AM. Same 5* as in 20* weather. Of course, we had all the blinds and shades shut whereas with the first we didn't have any shut.

Nice to have the slow heat loss, BUT: it still takes the Homestead running at 500*+ to move the temps in the house up. I suppose that should be expected when running this size stove in a 1,500 sq.ft. section.

S

To be acurate in your comparison, you must include wind values as well. Aside from that, fantastic results. Goes to show that it is worth it.

mayhem said:
I think I'd kill for that. Its quite excellent.

2nd that. I'm just not sure what or who I'd kill.

Temps in our master bedroom upstairs have been know to dip into the 40s when we close the door that lets heat in from downstairs.

Dune, you're right--and that may be the difference in these scenarios. The former example night was fairly windy whereas last night was still.

S

To give you an idea, I've got a 2800 sqft house in Southern NH with 1200 sqft above and 1600 sqft below.
I've got 18 windows, 6' glass slider and an 8' picture window.
House was built in 1994 with slightly above average construction. R19 in walls, R50 in the attic.

I keep my downstairs thermostat @ 60F and my upstairs thermostat @ 64F
With the stove running I can go from 60F @ 5PM to 70F @ 7PM. Once the downstairs hits 70F the bedrooms are typically 66F.
The bedrooms hit about 68F around 12AM at which point the house has reached equilibrium.
By 9PM I put the last load of wood in the stove. The downstairs is about 72F and the upstairs is around 67F.
When I come downstairs at about 6AM the bedrooms are about 65F and the downstairs is typically 66-67F.

I load the stove 2x day. Once when I get home and once about 9pm. About 3-4 splits each time, by no means stuffing it full. During the weekends when I'm burning 24x7 I do about 3 a day. I burn about 2 to 2 1/2 cord per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.