How a Dutch West non-cat stove handles air.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
In reading some of the Dutch West threads, I think there is a lot of confusion about how air moves through the stove. I removed the ash grate and pulled out the shoe. I found out that all the little holes are air supply holes. There are about 15 of them, and the air that comes in the primary intake (the three inch hole on the bottom of the stove) enters the combustion chamber through these holes. The secondary air intake washes down the glass. If you have the secondary closed, then all the air coming into the stove comes in through the holes in the shoe.

There are two small "chimney" stacks on either side of the shoe with vertical holes. I never noticed them until I removed the shoe. These two holes are the exhaust vents. When you close the damper, all the exhaust flows through these two holes. It's got me wondering if one potential problem people have is obstructing the exhaust ports.

Here's a photo. I colored the shoe yellow, and the exhaust ports red.

Shoe.jpg

Same situation on the VC Encore NC (I believe it is the same company). Anyway, it took me quite a while to figure out just how the intake and exhaust works.

Status
Not open for further replies.