How do you clear an auger jam?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The augers on Quads and Heatilators are Hollow. If... If you had a jam, just shove a coat hanger up there.

What is the stove doing to make you think it has a jam?
You guys are soooo much better than manufacturers. Still waiting for someone to call me back. Luckily I solved it myself.. Did just what you happened to mention. After cleaning it out several times and hitting the reset when I gave it some fuel and it did not seem to pull any fuel nor drop any. I figured it had to be the feed system thinking maybe something caused it to reverse. While I was messing with the spring I moved it side to side jiggling it a bit and pellets fell done. Lightbulb!!! Banged more on the top and more came down. This happened several times. Then I pushed the hanger up it and also I have a pipe claw that was nice and flexible that worked great also. Did it up the shoot as well. After All was done I had a huge pile of sawdust in my stove and more than a handful of pellets in the burnpot. Kept running that routine till I didn't see any more come out on either side. Started her up and she started dropping pellets. That told me I had cleared it!!!! She's burning like a champ now!!!

Do you use softwoods? I hear they burn hotter but have less ash or more? Just wondering.

You guys are soooo much better than manufacturers. Still waiting for someone to call me back. Luckily I solved it myself.. Did just what you happened to mention. After cleaning it out several times and hitting the reset when I gave it some fuel and it did not seem to pull any fuel nor drop any. I figured it had to be the feed system thinking maybe something caused it to reverse. While I was messing with the spring I moved it side to side jiggling it a bit and pellets fell done. Lightbulb!!! Banged more on the top and more came down. This happened several times. Then I pushed the hanger up it and also I have a pipe claw that was nice and flexible that worked great also. Did it up the shoot as well. After All was done I had a huge pile of sawdust in my stove and more than a handful of pellets in the burnpot. Kept running that routine till I didn't see any more come out on either side. Started her up and she started dropping pellets. That told me I had cleared it!!!! She's burning like a champ now!!!

Do you use softwoods? I hear they burn hotter but have less ash or more? Just wondering.

Fines need vacuumed out on a monthly basis (minimum/ read manual) They do.not feed well in a Quad or Heatilator. A hollow spring auger will not feed dust. It merely gets packed and causes problems.

I do have some Softwoods. And some are hotter than Hardwoods. Some are not. The ash is lighter, but that also depends too. Its all in the Fiber Quality.

Fines need vacuumed out on a monthly basis (minimum/ read manual) They do.not feed well in a Quad or Heatilator. A hollow spring auger will not feed dust. It merely gets packed and causes problems.

I do have some Softwoods. And some are hotter than Hardwoods. Some are not. The ash is lighter, but that also depends too. Its all in the Fiber Quality.
Thanks. I know about the cleaning out. I just had done my once a month cleaning, so I must have had a bag that had some major sawdust in it and not seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.