How does a "floating firebox" work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
I have searched in vain as to how a floating firebox used on PE stoves works.. Does anyone here know how this functions and how is it an advantage over normal fireboxes? To me the stove appears rigid and I can't see how the firebox can move.. The PE site doesn't shed any light on how it works either..

Ray

drumbum said:
Pretty sure I read it was anti-grav magnets or levitation crystals............uhmmm where do I find the smileys?

For all I know you could be right!! LOL I am curious to know exactly what is meant by floating firebox.. You'd think that PE would explain this much touted feature and selling point somewhere..

Ray

PS: This one is for you.. :zip:

Actually I believe it's just a box inside a box, not welded together, so they can expand and contract at different rates. Don't know that it does any good, with the cracks we've seen in the summit inserts(we meaning members here).

drumbum said:
Actually I believe it's just a box inside a box, not welded together, so they can expand and contract at different rates. Don't know that it does any good, with the cracks we've seen in the summit inserts(we meaning members here).

That still doesn't explain how the inner box is supported/suspended inside of the outer box.. The cracks seem to be an insert issue and as Bart (I think) mentioned perhaps it doesn't float as it should in the insert design vs. the freestanding design..

Ray

Ray, it floats only when you use it on the boat. :roll:

Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, it floats only when you use it on the boat. :roll:

Super bobber lol.. Here I come Shamu!!

Ray

Are the cracks showing up on older models only or are new model inserts having the same problem? Don't mean to hijack a thread but looking at one used 1year old. My guess on floating fire box would be the front of the stove would be the only connection in common. Where are these cracks occurring? Is it toward the front corners? and if so maybe the floating firebox is the problem.

NCredneck said:
Are the cracks showing up on older models only or are new model inserts having the same problem? Don't mean to hijack a thread but looking at one used 1year old. My guess on floating fire box would be the front of the stove would be the only connection in common. Where are these cracks occurring? Is it toward the front corners? and if so maybe the floating firebox is the problem.

If you search here there is lots of info about cracked PE stoves but seems to be an insert problem.. I think the years with the problem were 2005-2007 or something like that.. If you email PE support with the serial number of the stove they can tell you when the stove was manufactured (I did this with my stove).. If that stove is only one year old it should be OK..

Ray

The Top of the PE fire chamber (which is also the secondary burn chamber) isn't welded/bolted/wedged in place. It sits on top of a stainless steel ledge that extends across the back and both sides, with a single pin holding it in place at center rear. This allows the hottest part of the stove to expand and contract, (and even change shape slightly over time as metal stove components will), without putting undue stress on itself or the firebox. This was a pretty revolutionary idea 20-some years ago when PE's engineers came up with the design. Back then, most stoves, including the then-new "clean air" models, had welded-in or bolted-in baffles that caused considerable pressure on the firebox when the 1100-degree secondaries lit up, shortening the life expectancy of the internal components. We've retired many stoves over the years that were in perfect shape but for the burned out baffle, which, being a welded in part of the firebox assembly, was impossible to repair or replace. In the years since, we've seen several other manufacturers adopt some sort of stress-relieving engineering in the secondary burn area, but PE's "floating firebox" blazed the trail.

thechimneysweep said:
The Top of the PE fire chamber (which is also the secondary burn chamber) isn't welded/bolted/wedged in place. It sits on top of a stainless steel ledge that extends across the back and both sides, with a single pin holding it in place at center rear. This allows the hottest part of the stove to expand and contract, (and even change shape slightly over time as metal stove components will), without putting undue stress on itself or the firebox. This was a pretty revolutionary idea 20-some years ago when PE's engineers came up with the design. Back then, most stoves, including the then-new "clean air" models, had welded-in or bolted-in baffles that caused considerable pressure on the firebox when the 1100-degree secondaries lit up, shortening the life expectancy of the internal components. We've retired many stoves over the years that were in perfect shape but for the burned out baffle, which, being a welded in part of the firebox assembly, was impossible to repair or replace. In the years since, we've seen several other manufacturers adopt some sort of stress-relieving engineering in the secondary burn area, but PE's "floating firebox" blazed the trail.

Thanx Tom! It's good to know what the design was intended to do. I also searched the Canadian patents site and PE has no patent on the design and in fact had only one patent there.. I did see other companies doing similar things and they too did not elaborate to what actually "floated".. Englanders have a baffle board so I wonder if that was the intent there?

I may contact you at some point for pricing on the small baffle gasket this stove uses (apparently it gets destroyed if the baffle is taken out) and if inexpensive enough would probably buy 10 or so from you if that's ok.. I like keeping a few essentials handy if needed.. Bricks would be too heavy to ship so I probably get them locally..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.