How feasible for hauling wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flatbedford said:
Flatbed and Ford usually get my attention. :lol:

+1 I think you are on the right track now

I am planning on getting the lockable underbed tool box for mine but 24” is all that will fit and it will probably contain chains, binders and straps so if you want something for luggage, a jobox might be your best (not your cheapest or most economical) bet.

JeffRey30747 said:
Flatbedford said:
Flatbed and Ford usually get my attention. :lol:

+1 I think you are on the right track now

I am planning on getting the lockable underbed tool box for mine but 24” is all that will fit and it will probably contain chains, binders and straps so if you want something for luggage, a jobox might be your best (not your cheapest or most economical) bet.
I'll probably end up using some t-111 and 2x2s to make a lockable box that can easily be thrown up there when a trip is in order. I think i would make it so that it would open from the sides.

I haven't seen this truck, but when I asked if there were toolboxes under the bed or not he said he never paid attention, but would get back to me.

Danno77 said:
Got a call from the dealer last night. They just got a 1999 F350 crew cab with an aluminum flatbed on it. it has the diesel 7.3L but he said they are replacing two injectors. He says it has 150,000 (or something like that) miles on it and that it is so clean it will knock my socks off. they are asking 10,900 unless they need to do more work to it than the injectors. I dunno about the flatbed. I like the concept, but what do you do with a flatbed if you want to haul any luggage (like a trip to my parent's farm). Do you strap a cargo box on it or something?

damn, i'm picky. is anyone else getting sick of my postings in this stupid thread? I am.

Or, I dunno, maybe some side racks?

Bigg_Redd said:
Danno77 said:
Got a call from the dealer last night. They just got a 1999 F350 crew cab with an aluminum flatbed on it. it has the diesel 7.3L but he said they are replacing two injectors. He says it has 150,000 (or something like that) miles on it and that it is so clean it will knock my socks off. they are asking 10,900 unless they need to do more work to it than the injectors. I dunno about the flatbed. I like the concept, but what do you do with a flatbed if you want to haul any luggage (like a trip to my parent's farm). Do you strap a cargo box on it or something?

damn, i'm picky. is anyone else getting sick of my postings in this stupid thread? I am.

only if the weather is nice and i drive slow on the gravel roads.

Danno77 said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Danno77 said:

only if the weather is nice and i drive slow on the gravel roads.

OK, I'm done.

Bigg_Redd said:
OK, I'm done.
What?!?!?! since when are you ever done? i don't buy it. this is only page 6 and i'm not done shooting down your suggestions. hang around until page 8. this is just getting interesting.

Danno77 said:
I dunno about the flatbed. I like the concept, but what do you do with a flatbed if you want to haul any luggage (like a trip to my parent's farm). Do you strap a cargo box on it or something?

Lots of choices, depends on your needs. You could grab one of those rooftop cargo boxes that used to be real popular back in the day, toss it on the bed and strap it down...they were usually wedge shaped to try to convince car owners that they were helping their aerodynamics (usually they weren't), but if you put it on backwards so it tapers down to the back of the truck, you might actually help your highway economy some by reducing the area of highest turbulence on a truck, right were the cab ends.

If you just have a couple poeple you might have plenty of room inside the cab...a crew cab is a pretty big interior.

For hauling wood, there should be some sort of stake mounts on the bed, so you cna make your own fences and put them on when you have to, take them off when you don't need them. So long as you're confortable driving a really long truck with a big diesel as your daily driver then you should seriously consider this truck...if it checks out mechanically of course.

Good luck, and get us some photos.

mayhem said:
Lots of choices, depends on your needs. You could grab one of those rooftop cargo boxes that used to be real popular back in the day, toss it on the bed and strap it down...they were usually wedge shaped to try to convince car owners that they were helping their aerodynamics (usually they weren't), but if you put it on backwards so it tapers down to the back of the truck, you might actually help your highway economy some by reducing the area of highest turbulence on a truck, right were the cab ends.

If you just have a couple poeple you might have plenty of room inside the cab...a crew cab is a pretty big interior.

For hauling wood, there should be some sort of stake mounts on the bed, so you cna make your own fences and put them on when you have to, take them off when you don't need them. So long as you're confortable driving a really long truck with a big diesel as your daily driver then you should seriously consider this truck...if it checks out mechanically of course.

Good luck, and get us some photos.
yeah, I'm seriously considering this. I'd be hauling wife and kids. If i had sides thrown up on it, then I'd throw the dog in the back, too. I think I can manage with a DIY box in the back for traveling. I'll get more pics and info as soon as I get them. Up to this point all I know is what I learned on the phone. haven't seen it, and the dealer hasn't seen it since it was traded in and now in the shop it sits, waiting on those injectors.

grrr. just stopped at the dealership today in order to see that truck. First of all the aluminum flatbed it awesome. the body looks nice, the interior looks pretty nasty, but maybe that could have cleaned up. The mechanic told me that they just (earlier today) discovered that it does not need new injectors, but that one of the cylinders is trashed. If I can get it for the price they "estimated" it would be and it has a new engine in it then I'm ok with that. I doubt that will happen. I'm probably gonna have to cross this off the list.

The other local option is a nicer looking F250 long bed with a topper on it. it's got some cheap looking brush guard in the front and has leather. Overall it's a really nice looking truck, but it's got the 5.4L in it. I'm not a fan of that engine. if it had the V10 or the diesel, i'd be on board. So, back to the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.