How much 50:1 do you mix at a time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

Minister of Fire
Jul 1, 2012
SW Washington
I guess I should have read the manual better, but I just saw that Husqvarna and others recommend not mixing more than one month's use at a time. How important is this rule? Maybe I've been lucky, but as a light homeowner user, I've often gone way over that. I have used Stabil when it looks like it will be 6 months or more, as I do for mower gas and such.

I typically mix one gallon at a time for my use, and have a couple of 2.5gallon cans of regular gas handy if I should need to mix another gallon. I use to use the gas year round, as I had a snowblower that ran on the same mix. But now days I try and use all my 50:1 mix up before storing my saws for the winter.

I mix one gallon at a time and I use StarTron instead of StaBil. My saw shop recommended it and I've heard it from several people also it is better. If Stabil works for you I say keep using it

Reactions: duramaxman05
The one-month recommendations I've seen seem to imply that stabilizers won't solve the problem for chain saws for some reason. I've always been pretty good about keeping un-mixed gas fresh with six months a rule of thumb, or maybe a year with a stabilizer.

I guess my question is, do small 2-stroke engines like chain saws require a higher standard maybe since they are subject to greater stresses, or does the oil change the dynamics.

I've used mixed gas 3-4 months old and it works. Any older I dump it in my work truck. I only run Sunoco 93 in my saws FWIW. I don't have the bottle in front of me but the StarTron is an ethanol stabilizer or something like that. Works for me

Reactions: heavy hammer
I don't..........I do mix 2.5 gallons of 32:1 at a time though :p

Reactions: p16209
Depends on how fast you will use it up. Stabil will keep the gas fresh a little longer, but it is the ethanol that
causes most of the problems. (some will say not, but I am an ethanol hater)

And also, always use the recommended octane (or even higher) as octane levels can drop as the fuel sits.
It helps stop pre-detonation in the cylinder. ( Not an issue with all saws )

Fortunately I don't need to worry as much because I use only high octane ethanol free gas in my saws.

I don't..........I do mix 2.5 gallons of 32:1 at a time though :p

Ya I don't do 50:1 either. I like to mix a little on the rich side too.

As for how much depends on my needs at the time. I prefer to mix what I think I will need for the day or the week. But doesn't always happen that way

Non ethanol 1 gallon at a time. I almost never use more than that in a weekend so no need to mix more than that. I drive by 2 gas stations that sell non ethanol every week day going to work.

I see a lot of ethanol haters here.:) I'm not particular about that for the cars that are totally built for it (or at least the 10% stuff), but it sounds like it may be a factor here for small 2-strokes (high rpm, hi temps, etc) when using an oil mix.

I see that a lot of you use richer oil mixes in otherwise 50:1 engines. Does that ever cause plug fouling or any other problems?

The place I bought my mower from had a sign up saying all small engines non ethanol only. I talked to their mechanic. He told me it was the number one issue they see carburetors wrecked from ethanol. That was 12 years ago none of my small engines have seen it since. From what I remember as it sits in the carburetor it breaks down and corrodes it. In your car it never sits in there long enough to cause a problem.

Ethanol absorbs moisture and turns into globs in the carb. I have run it in everything since it came around. Only trashed one carb on an engine I forgot to start once a month.

I see a lot of ethanol haters here.:) I'm not particular about that for the cars that are totally built for it (or at least the 10% stuff), but it sounds like it may be a factor here for small 2-strokes (high rpm, hi temps, etc) when using an oil mix.

I see that a lot of you use richer oil mixes in otherwise 50:1 engines. Does that ever cause plug fouling or any other problems?

I still run 32:1 in everything. Saw a post years ago from a guy that was a Husqvarna engineer who said they have marching orders to design them to live on 50:1 at least until they are out of warranty.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Ethanol absorbs moisture and turns into globs in the carb. I have run it in everything since it came around. Only trashed one carb on an engine I forgot to start once a month.
I just counted 16 small engines I own in my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.with the non ethanol I have never had a problem. If I had to remember to start all of them every month I would be in trouble. And for me it's not a problem non ethanol is available and no more expensive then the gas with it. If non ethanol is available in your area I see no reason not to use it. If not like BB said make sure you are starting it once a month.

Last edited:
I still run 32:1 in everything. Saw a post years ago from a guy that was a Husqvarna engineer who said they have marching orders to design them to live on 50:1 at least until they are out of warranty.
Okay, I'm sure I can find a source of non-ethanol from a marine place somewhere. And as long as it doesn't cause problems, I'm fine with a richer oil mix too. The one-month rule still concerns me though. I'm starting to see some bogging down problems with my saw at the higher end. It helps to adjust the "H" on the carb, but I'm wondering if it the carb needs attention.

There sure are a lot of opinions on this stuff... Pretty confusing for us ordinary guys...

Opinions and experiences on it are always all over the board. If you have a source of non-ethanol fuel, run it. I don't have a source but have only had that one problem. Started the 1991 saw last week and it still sounds like it is ready for work like the other four do. Running corn liquor. As do the generators.

It helps to adjust the "H" on the carb, but I'm wondering if it the carb needs attention.

You will know if the carb is crapping up if you get to where you need to have some choke rolled in to get it to run flat out. Essentially what you are seeing with having to give it H. Pun intended.

Reactions: Sprinter
I try not to let my mix sit more than a couple months. If my saws are going to be idle for months I put the stihl mix in since it has a two year life. I run my mix on the heavier side plus a buddy of mine went to school for stihl recommended putting in a cap or two of 5 w30 motor oil in with my mix especially for the big saws. Been doing this for a few years now and never had an issue. He said the added lubrication helps especially for the break in process. He builds pro racing saws and been fixing saws for many years so I figure he knows a thing or two. Also I only mix a gallon at a time. I have a backup ten gallon gas can so I can mix more up if needed since a gallon can get used quickly running a couple large saws at the same time. The stihl mix oil in the grey bottles say they only last a couple of weeks once mixed. I read it in one of there catalogs. I don't know if anyone else has seen this I was surprised.

I tend to agree as well I sometimes think 50:1 plays into planed failure rate or something by the designers or perhaps the people in charge, accountants, etc so that they can assure people have to replace small engine tools every so often.

Not sure really. I just personally error on the side of caution and end up either 40:1 or 45:1

I personally feel if you use non ethanol and any synthetic oil that contains fuel stabilizers in it then a 2 stroke can sit for a very long time with old fuel in it.

My Stihl 031 from the 1970s has sat for years with gas in it. Years sometimes multiple years and it still runs like it was back in the 70s......which is smokey, low revving, and reliable as flys on crap

I don't run it often it's days of cutting are long behind it. No working chain brake and slow and heavy but once in awhile I will use it as a rescue saw to cut out a pinched bar. But it usually always has fuel in it sometimes very old fuel

Last edited:
I use stabilizer in all my small engines and havent had any problems with them. The last time I fired up my Husky was in November. I should see how shes holding up as I expect to start cutting in the next month or so when the snow goes away. I like the sounds of changing up the mix, will give it a go. I only keep a small 1 gallon can mixed at any one time but find even that sits a bit since on an outing I usually only go through two tanks worth of fuel which is enough to fill my short box dodge ram with wood, about .4 of a cord.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
So to get to 32 to 1 mix do you know off hand what percent of a gallon do I use with the one gallon 50 to one mix bottle?

So to get to 32 to 1 mix do you know off hand what percent of a gallon do I use with the one gallon 50 to one mix bottle?

Four ounces of two stroke oil in one gallon of gas gives you 32:1.

There is 128oz in a gallon.......

for 50:1 = 128/50....2.56oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas.

for 32:1 = 128/32....4oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas.

If you have a 2.56oz bottle of oil, then you need to use 82oz (0.64gal) of gas to achieve 32:1 mix ration. (2.56 x 32 = 81.92oz or 0.64gal).

or

simply 2.56/4 = 0.64

Status
Not open for further replies.