How much Ash do you get when cleaning your chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How Much Ash do you get when cleaning

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, on my third year of burning and I am jeaous of all you folks out there that get like a 1/4 cup of soot after cleaning your chimney. I burn about 2 cords/year in my insert, and always get about 1 gallon of the light/flaky stuff. I've been burning mainly maple, beech and some oak, and usually let it season 1 1/2 years stacked using the cross method.

They never say what size cup.

ec57_worlds_largest_coffee_cup.jpg

I have never measured it but it is probably a 34 ounce coffee can worth or so from the 21 foot liner. Three cords a year. I care less about how much as I do about composition. Always fluffy powder, aka soot.

They never say what size cup.

ec57_worlds_largest_coffee_cup.jpg
Ok Wiseguy....why can't one edit the poll? Dang it.
For folks questioning, say a typical coffee can holds a lb of coffee.

I get less significantly less than a coffee can but more than a quarter cup like some post. I've always wondered how that was even possible. I have 27' worth of liner not counting the stove pipe.

Ok Wiseguy....why can't one edit the poll? Dang it.
For folks questioning, say a typical coffee can holds a lb of coffee.

Ain't seen a one pound coffee can in many years. One of the reasons these discussions always need a point of reference.

I think a lot depends on the setup. I got probably three or four cups out of my insulated flex liner, exterior masonry chimner, probably the same out SIL's class A setup with about 5' of pipe above the roof, and about 1/2 cup out of BIL's insulated rigid liner in an exterior masonry chimney. I've got everyone drier wood this year, though...

Kitchen measuring cups, BB. >>

About a 12 oz coffee can's worth after 3 yrs burning with a straight up 20ft chimney, ~2.5 cord per year, mostly softwoods.

I just did my pre-season flue clean last weekend and got ~ a coffee can worth (12oz) of fine soot from ~27 feet of SL300 pipe. I usually clean once mid-season as well with the same results.

This is a fairly typical amount of ash/creosote from when I clean the chimney.
I usually clean twice a year, in the fall and the middle of the burning season.
I use mostly pallet wood for start-up, I figure it is pretty dry. Guess I'm doing it right.:cool:

Attachments

• Picture 172.jpg
    Picture 172.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 168
Ok, on my third year of burning and I am jeaous of all you folks out there that get like a 1/4 cup of soot after cleaning your chimney. I burn about 2 cords/year in my insert, and always get about 1 gallon of the light/flaky stuff. I've been burning mainly maple, beech and some oak, and usually let it season 1 1/2 years stacked using the cross method.

I see part of your problem for sure. We always let oak dry, after splitting, for 3 years before burning. Beech can be burned sooner but we prefer 2 years minimum. But then, we prefer 3 years or more for all of our wood.

As for the chimney, I've already posted that we've cleaned our chimney one time in the last 5 years. Checked again this fall and it was clean.....except for a spider web.

- I went through 2-2.5 cords last winter.
- Primarily burned Douglas Fir.
- About 20 feet straight up

This is what I got out with Sooteater back in August. This is a 2.5 gallon pail.

photo-3.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.