How much can you haul in your non pickup vehicle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleetussnow

Oct 3, 2012
Westchester, ny
Insted of hijacking another thread, i will just start one.

I have a pathfinder and i get about 35 bags in it with the seat down, so about 1400 lbs. i could maybe do aother 5 bags if needed.

It doesnt like to be so top heavy, but i have air bags in the rear springs, so i jack those up to 80 lbs each, and its pretty decent. I only drive a couple miles like that. I have a snowmobile trailer, and i could load a wrapped ton onto that and strap it down i suppose. Then i could haul 1.6 tons if needed.

I dont do the delivery thing mostly because i have kids with strong backs!

Reactions: DuelburnJake
2013 Santa Fe- Easily-25 bags

Have done 33 bags and seems like I could've pushed it a little further. Space isn't an issue, just start running out of suspension travel. I spread them out between the back seat area (floor and seats) and the cargo area so it rides better.

I would think most SUV's/ crossovers/ wagons could do 800-1200 lbs, but not sure what a coupe or sedan could handle since I haven't owned one in a LONG time.

Last week i had 40 40lb bags in my 2006 hyundai Tucson with no problems

20 bags in my Honda Civic (6 in the trunk 8 in the back seat and 6 in the front seat) or 30 bags in my Nissan Pathfinder. Usually just rent the truck from the box store for 20 dollars

Last week i had 40 40lb bags in my 2006 hyundai Tucson with no problems
My previous vehicle was a 2005 Tuscon and it did haul some very heavy loads for me, I just never carried pellets in it so I have no number to go by. I miss the flexibility of the cargo space in the Tuscon since it was actually more versatile then my new Santa Fe is.

In my Ford Edge, I would max out at 30 bags - not wanting to overdo it.

I just purchased a 2014 Subaru Outback, and haven't loaded it up yet and can't find any specs on what the payload capacity is. Guess we'll start with 20 bags and go from there.

.....I have a pathfinder and i get about 35 bags in it with the seat down, so about 1400 lbs. i could maybe do aother 5 bags if needed......

I'm pretty sure my TrailBlazer will do at least that much, but I'd rather borrow the neighbors trailer and do the whole ton. ==c

I usually carry 25 bags in my Jeep Liberty. I wouldn't drive cross country like that, but no problem across town.

2008 Chrysler Town n Country

25 bags max (ridin low with that)

20 bags in a Cadillac Deville

Reactions: Jaymaine34
I used to put 17-18 bags in my CR-V basically a ton split 3 trips.

Rav-4 6 cyl.

25 bags for an 8 mile trip. Squatted her down pretty good. Will probably tone it down to 20 bags if I attempt it again.

My Old Saab 900 could take 20 bags without any issues, could have handled more if I loaded them in the seats. The family Suburban can take a full ton if I load it right, but I still prefer to borrow a trailer and haul 2 tons at a time.

this guy seems to be able to haul quite a few pallets...

Attachments

• pontiac hauling pallets.jpg
    pontiac hauling pallets.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 854
Last edited:
30 bags in my 2010 Prius......I think I could easily have put in another 15 though!! but that would be my limit!!

2006 Toyota Prius - 10 BAGS! Slowly but surely the race is won! :)

I have a chevy avalanche and where I live they title it as a station wagon. Maybe thats cheating but I hauled 1 ton home a few days ago. 4 bags in front seat, 18 bags on the back seats that were folded down and the rest in the bed on the pallet. Looking up the cargo cap. and I was about 900lbs over. Stayed behind a semi and took it easy for the 15 mile trip back home.

I need to get a trailer so I can haul two ton no problem

2004 toyota sienna being doing the 35-40 bag loads. center seats removed to centralize the load.

Insted of hijacking another thread, i will just start one.

I have a pathfinder and i get about 35 bags in it with the seat down, so about 1400 lbs. i could maybe do aother 5 bags if needed.

It doesnt like to be so top heavy, but i have air bags in the rear springs, so i jack those up to 80 lbs each, and its pretty decent. I only drive a couple miles like that. I have a snowmobile trailer, and i could load a wrapped ton onto that and strap it down i suppose. Then i could haul 1.6 tons if needed.

I dont do the delivery thing mostly because i have kids with strong backs!

My 2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx ( 186,000 miles and going strong) can handle lots but Madame Defarge won't let me haul more than 7 bags at a time. BUT . . . once I brought home 1/2 ton with no problem, having distributed the weight evenly between under the hatch and the back seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.