How much did you invest in order to burn wood, and save money? Where is your break even?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kenny chaos said:
Is nobody's time worth anything?
I know, you enjoy the exercise.
Kenny

People's time is worth something but most people can't just work more hours and make more money. Myself I enjoy being outdoors and having fun with power tools beyond just the savings.

Savings wise:

Pipe - $700 (Liner, Cap, Adapter)
Quadrafire 3100i - $1300
Chainsaws - $1300
Pickup - $1900
Englander 13NCL - $313
Class A Chimney Pipe - $580

Yearly I save at least $1300-1500 on Natural gas if not more and I've been burning 7+ Years now

Of course this doesn't include gas/time/food ect.

I've spent probably $3000 on the insert, liner, original install, saw, 2 mauls, a wedge, and whatever else after the tax breaks.

We've saved about $7,000 in oil in 2 1/12 years of burning wood. So I'm in the black about $4000. And we're warmer than ever. Not to mention its just fun.

What a a blessing it has been to our family.

DaFattKidd said:
I've spent probably $3000 on the insert, liner, original install, saw, 2 mauls, a wedge, and whatever else after the tax breaks.

We've saved about $7,000 in oil in 2 1/12 years of burning wood. So I'm in the black about $4000. And we're warmer than ever. Not to mention its just fun.

What a a blessing it has been to our family.

How big is your house?

My house is only 2000sf. I heat 1700 sf with wood. The other 300 sf or so is an apartment that is still heated with the oil burner. My house is super drafty and very difficult to keep warm. During winter months I used to burn 200+ gallons of oil per month.

DaFattKidd said:
My house is only 2000sf. I heat 1700 sf with wood. The other 300 sf or so is an apartment that is still heated with the oil burner. My house is super drafty and very difficult to keep warm. During winter months I used to burn 200+ gallons of oil per month.

WOW! Maybe look into plugging up some of those leaks over the summer and putting more insulation in. This is my first year burning and I do enjoy it but i'm ready to be done and get out of winter.

I am sealing the house up little by little. Each year I take on another project and tighten it up a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.