How much space can I steal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
This is probably a foolish question but I figured I'd toss it out there.

I'm at the part where I hit the drywall really hard to make a thimble shaped hole.

If I want to brace the ceiling, I can add a frame properly.

But I don't really want to redo all that drywall. I admit it: I suck at drywall. However I'm three inches off in terms of clearance if I don't cut the stud.

How much fudge space do I have?

Need some specifics. Can you catch us up on what is the approved plan?

Yeah well that's the rub, isn't it?

So the catch up is my $10 home depot stud finder is junk and when I originally submitted plans I was like THERES NO STUD HERE. Suddenly, there's a stud. The house knew what I was doing and it grew it like a salamander grows a tail, I swear to god. Of course I didn't open the drywall before submitting a plan... So we're already off plan.

Attached is the stove plans (the main one) I submitted to the township. The horizontal run through the wall turned out to be ~12 inches so the adjustable section is gone. You'll notice nowhere does it indicate stud cutting. You shall also notice the stove is installed parallel to the wall but in a corner. I'm proposing moving it three inches CLOSER to the corner wall. The obvious (and sane) answer is "DON'T DO IT". I figured I would ask just to see if these were hard and fast or not. Anyone familiar with the VC manual knows the offset chart is a real hack job which is why I figured I would ask.

Attachments

• forum Stove Plans.jpg
    forum Stove Plans.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 252
You are right. Don't do it. The minimum side clearance to a protected wall is 14". It would be better to move the stove to the left and increase the distance.

ah thats what i figured. as much as i hate cutting a stud, the other direction has a baseboard radiator too close if i go that way. guess we know who is off to rent floor jacks from home depot this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.